Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

homework help!

Posted by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM
  • 13 Replies
I have a third grade son who I am in desperate need of advice! He had always been an awesome student but this year he has a teacher who moved from kindergarten to 3rd and thinks he's doing just fine but I see way differently...! He fights me for reading, hates ding his hw (sometimes doesn't even do it) and is getting 2 C's.. we are a busy family as he is active in wrestling and my youngest in dance and I am now moving from a stay at home mom to a full time 9-5 job.. If anyone has had these problems before can you please give me some helpful advice! Thanks in advance :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 6:31 PM

What are his at home consequences for not doing homework first off?   How much does the homework count towards his grades if at all?  For my dd who is in first grade, she loves to read but HATES to do the homework journal.  Her consequence of not doing her homework is losing priveleges and usually going to bed right after dinner.   For your son he may have to lose a few wrestling practices to get the hint.   Talk to the coach though to make sure he is on same page and knows what is going on not that son is just not showing up.

For reading, look for books he could be interested in even child appropriate comic books are fine.

stayathome510
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:28 PM

Things definitely need to be slowed down and prioritized.  You know the answer...and, your the parent, so you and your husband need to stop the insanity and slow things down and make sure your children are moving in the right direction...thats your first job, mom.  I worked outside the home for many years.  I had these same issues, and was always looking for someone to help me figure things out.  My son, who is now 24, and married, suffered because of us not figuring this out.  He made it through school, but it wasn't pretty, and as a matter of fact, his teen years were very tough as a result.  I am now a stay at home mom and really put some thought on this and see how necessary it is for a parent to be intentional and detailed when it comes to raising their children.  You need to read, read, read, and listen to as many talks as possible on parenting.  Its not too late, but really, you are right when you say things don't add up with your son, stop and do what needs to be done....parenting is not hit or miss, get educated....

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 7:47 PM
1 mom liked this

My daughter is struggling in math and I can admit that I do not have the skills or patience to give her the help that she needs. I have hired a tutor to come to the house 2x a week. Where my daughter would roll her eyes at me when I tried to help, she listens to the tutor. It's an expense but I certainly notice a difference and my daughter is at the age where she is learning the fundamentals and I won't let her fall behind at this stage of the game.

Chloe311
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 8:02 PM

You may want to ask him why the change in not doing his, is he being bullied at school, is wrestling something he is still interested in? How much quality time are you and your husband spending with your children? How do he feel about you going to work? There is a reason why he acts out and you and your husband need to find the root of this problem before it gets out of control. I had to put my daughter in therapy in order for her to open up. Give him a journal and have him write down things he do and don't like about school and home and write down what he had done for that. Have family time when you talk about your day and this may open up things that may be bottled up inside him. Good luck.

funhappymom
by Silver Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:08 AM

First off, I'm there with you. I have a third grader who doesn't like to do his homework either and is suffering because of it.

What I would do is sit down and talk with him-find out what is going on. Next, I would contact his teacher-either through email or a parent/teacher conference. Next, use those two tools to figure out what is the best way to deal with everything. It could mean, not doing homework until after dinner, it could mean giving up wrestling, it could mean spending extra time on the weekends helping him.

Make sure you make learning fun at home and not just about the mundaneness of it all. It's so easy to fall into that-we do it here a lot :(

Also, if he doesn't already have one, get him a library card. We went this weekend to get one and my boys were thrilled to have their own card and to be able to check out books themselves now.

nurbabe82
by Gold Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Could the transition from you going from a sahm back to the work force have anything to do with it. Not bashing by any means, just wondering if he was so used to you being home and now you're working. Ds is in first grade and he is having trouble with reading, but doing homework is a must. I won't fight, don't want to do your homework there will be consequences to suffer. IDK how often or how much time the other activities take up, but sit down and plan out your week and see if that could help. IDK, good luck.

busy_mommy_0409
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:07 PM
Yea... What the heck does needing advice on hw help have to do with me learning how to be a parent??? I have two wonderful kids!! I'm a thing mom but i'm adamn good one! please don't come on here criticizing someone you do not even know!! Smh...

Quoting stayathome510:

Things definitely need to be slowed down and prioritized.  You know the answer...and, your the parent, so you and your husband need to stop the insanity and slow things down and make sure your children are moving in the right direction...thats your first job, mom.  I worked outside the home for many years.  I had these same issues, and was always looking for someone to help me figure things out.  My son, who is now 24, and married, suffered because of us not figuring this out.  He made it through school, but it wasn't pretty, and as a matter of fact, his teen years were very tough as a result.  I am now a stay at home mom and really put some thought on this and see how necessary it is for a parent to be intentional and detailed when it comes to raising their children.  You need to read, read, read, and listen to as many talks as possible on parenting.  Its not too late, but really, you are right when you say things don't add up with your son, stop and do what needs to be done....parenting is not hit or miss, get educated....

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 7:14 PM
As far as the grades go.... Do you know what other kids are getting? I have been told by my principal to not give high marks until the end of the year so we can show improvement.
KMAsMommy9182
by Toujours Raison on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:17 PM

That is ridiculous! I would expect my child to be graded on her performance regardless of how far along in the year it is.  Some children will produce above average work from the beginning and should not be penalized in order to show the school board (or whoever the principal is trying to impress) that everyone improved. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

As far as the grades go.... Do you know what other kids are getting? I have been told by my principal to not give high marks until the end of the year so we can show improvement.

NDADanceMom
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 8:22 PM
I agree but in the end middle school grades are pretty unimportant and i just tell the parents how i feel the kids are doing.

Quoting KMAsMommy9182:

That is ridiculous! I would expect my child to be graded on her performance regardless of how far along in the year it is.  Some children will produce above average work from the beginning and should not be penalized in order to show the school board (or whoever the principal is trying to impress) that everyone improved. 

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)