Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Conn. school, under pressure, OKs anti-gay shirt Do you think its ok to voice this kind of opinion?

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
  • 8 Replies
Tuesday February 26, 2013 1:45 PM

WOLCOTT, Conn. (AP) - The American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut says officials in a school district are reversing themselves and allowing a student to wear a T-shirt with an anti-gay message.

The ACLU announced Tuesday that the lawyer for the school district says Wolcott High School student Seth Groody may wear the T-shirt, which bears a slash mark through a rainbow.

The ACLU says he wore the shirt April 20, which was designated as a day of awareness of harassment toward gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. He removed the shirt when ordered by school officials.

The ACLU says it was prepared to sue the school district. School attorney Christine Chinni wrote to the ACLU this month saying Groody may wear the T-shirt.

- See more at: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2013/02/26/us--anti-gay-shirt.html#sthash.GTwQdUtQ.dpuf

by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Mrs.Brugger
by Tiara on Feb. 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM

It was rude and while I'm not anti-gay that's what free speech is for right? he can express how he feels if people can express how they feel by wearing rainbow shirts. 

Arwyn724
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

This is why you cannot wear any shirts with slogans or graphics at my kids high school.  Problem solved.

Arwyn 724 

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:36 PM

I think it's ok to voice that opinion BUT not in school. I don't think any message t shirts should be allowed for any cause, why must a student advertise being pro this or against that? So much energy, time and money spent on nonsense, just wear a regular shirt to school and be done with it. After 3 and on weekends, wear what the hell you want

HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM
You can't just pick and choose when it comes to freedom of speech. The school opened the door by designating the day to support gay and lesbians. They can't tell someone they aren't allowed to wear a shirt just because it goes against what they think. Again... The school allowed the topic in school so they can't just say, well these kids can talk about this but these can't because they don't agree.... Although I'm not anti-gay I do believe in freedom of speech.

Quoting JulyBabies:

I think it's ok to voice that opinion BUT not in school. I don't think any message t shirts should be allowed for any cause, why must a student advertise being pro this or against that? So much energy, time and money spent on nonsense, just wear a regular shirt to school and be done with it. After 3 and on weekends, wear what the hell you want

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting HaleyCovington:

You can't just pick and choose when it comes to freedom of speech. The school opened the door by designating the day to support gay and lesbians. They can't tell someone they aren't allowed to wear a shirt just because it goes against what they think. Again... The school allowed the topic in school so they can't just say, well these kids can talk about this but these can't because they don't agree.... Although I'm not anti-gay I do believe in freedom of speech.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Understood, my point was strictly about the t shirt issue. I said t shirts should not be allowed for any message or cause.

The day of awareness and whether that should be allowed or not is another topic entirely

christina0607
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:55 PM

If they have no policy against screen printed t shirts...then I see no problem with the shirt. 

HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 26, 2013 at 4:59 PM
I understand that but again the school allowed the topic. They have an issue with the shirt because its against the topic... Would it be different if it was a sign? Either way they can't dictate what he protests. I would maybe side with the school if it wasn't a designated day but they allowed for the topic in the school so they have to allow it in any form. Im sure they had pro-gay signs or something around the school...That's part of freedom of speech. The student doesn't agree with that but he has to see it and hear about it so why should he have to hide his beliefs when others are blatantly thrown in his face. I honestly don't believe a persons sexuality has anything to do with school and shouldn't be discussed there but the SCHOOL allowed it in.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting JulyBabies:

Understood, my point was strictly about the t shirt issue. I said t shirts should not be allowed for any message or cause.

The day of awareness and whether that should be allowed or not is another topic entirely

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 26, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Quoting HaleyCovington:

I understand that but again the school allowed the topic. They have an issue with the shirt because its against the topic... Would it be different if it was a sign? Either way they can't dictate what he protests. I would maybe side with the school if it wasn't a designated day but they allowed for the topic in the school so they have to allow it in any form. Im sure they had pro-gay signs or something around the school...That's part of freedom of speech. The student doesn't agree with that but he has to see it and hear about it so why should he have to hide his beliefs when others are blatantly thrown in his face. I honestly don't believe a persons sexuality has anything to do with school and shouldn't be discussed there but the SCHOOL allowed it in.

Quoting JulyBabies:

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Quoting JulyBabies:

It was a day of awareness of harassment, not "pro gay" day. I don't know what that day entails, perhaps current and historical events (ie Matthew Shepard) and it really doesn't matter, my point was about what a big waste of time and money has been spent on this and they shouldn't allow t shirts of any kind with messages. My point is more about the dress code and not the free speech issue.

Just like I think the school and ACLU have spent too much time on this topic, I have too. I don't really care that much about it lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)