Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is my 5 year old a vegetarian?

Posted by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 9 Replies

My daughter does not eat meat. When she was younger, like a year old.. she would eat chicken nuggets, fish sticks, and pepperoni. Nothing else.. no other meat. And when we would tell her she had to eat her dinner, she would gag, or sit there and chew her food for a half hour at a time. She refuses to eat any kind of meat, and she wont eat chicken nuggets anymore, or fish sticks.. and she will no longer eat pepperoni, unless she doesn't know it's there (like if it's tiny pieces of pepperoni under the cheese on a pizza. She has never liked meat. And it's becoming something I worry about. I thought maybe it was a texture thing.. but she wont eat meat in any form. And she doesn't eat vegatables either.. or rice.. really all I can get her to eat is pasta, pizza, mac and cheese, and grilled cheese. She wont eat eggs.. Her father thinks that if we continue to put it in front of her, eventually she will eat it.. but she is 5 years old.. and this has been an on going issue since she was an infant.. I could barely get her to eat the pureed baby food meats that come in a jar. I have talked to her doctor about this, and she basically said that as well.. just keep trying her with it.. and eventually she will eat it. But she wont. She will ASK to go to bed instead of eating dinner because she doesn't like the meat we are having. She would rather starve then eat meat. So I'm going to bring it up to her doctor at her next visit.. but do you guys know if they can like "deem" her vegetarian, so her father and I can understand and accept this is more than just a stubborn child who doesn't want to eat what we're having for dinner? Because I'm not sure if she just doesn't like what we're eating.. or if she just strictly wont eat meat. What do you guys think?

by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:22 PM

Given she wont eat other things I think it is more pickiness or a sensory thing rather than vegetarian since vegetarians eat VEGETABLES for their main stay.   Have you tried turning different soups into gravy for mashed potatoes or noodles?   When you make your own sauces you can hide veggies in them like tomato sauce you can blend up red peppers, carrots, spinach, etc into the sauce to boost it nutritionally.

JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Rather than fighting with her, tell her that if she is not going to eat meat, then she will have to eat other types of protein so that she stays healthy. Get some vegetarian cookbooks and ask her to go through it with you and see what looks good and let her help you in the kitchen. Get her involved and I think you will be more successful.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:24 PM
My niece is like this. She's 11 and will only eat maybe a dozen things. Her pedi told SIL to take her to a psychologist to try to figure it out but they haven't taken her yet.

If your DD won't eat vegetables either, she's not a vegetarian. I would work with her pedi and/or a psychologist to get to the bottom of this. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:28 PM
Does she have a posterior tongue tie? That can cause severe texture issues.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by Bronze Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:29 PM
Don't force her to eat meat if she doesn't want to. There are TONS of other, even better protein sources... you might want to give her a B-12 supplement though. I have some that taste like cherry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:32 PM
My dd doesn't like meat either but she'll eat it. I try to make foods with alternative proteins pretty often though. If she isn't eating eggs or veggies either though I'd look into supplementing somehow and would talk to her pedi for advice. GL
bebe_ju-rah
by I Ate The Rainbow on Feb. 27, 2013 at 4:34 PM
Also, try to hide what she won't eat in her meals (veggies are super easy to disguise) lol
SareyF
by Silver Member on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:08 PM
Try the deceptively delicious cookbook and meals you can hide good stuff in. I think it's just pickiness. I wouldn't battle her, just request that she taste the items on her plate and if she doesn't like something, fine. My kids must try foods to get second helpings of the things they do like or to be able to have snacks and such later.
25beengoodtome
by on Feb. 27, 2013 at 5:15 PM

You will be shocked once she goes to a party, sees other kids eating & LOVING foods. she'll try different food then eat it away from home.Kids are like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)