Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I have a question...

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM
  • 7 Replies

Joey (my oldest) has a friend that lives about 4 houses down from us.We will call this boy Richard...Well,Richard is 16 and I know for a fact that he wanders around the neighborhood at night.I have caught my son trying to "sneak" him into my house at 1:00 a.m. (And yes,Joey got into one hell of a lot of trouble for it).

My problem is this:Richard's mom is a "my son can do NO WRONG" type.She is also single and working 2 jobs to keep her 4 kids fed.I am imagining that part of the reason she hasn't noticed that her 16 year old sneaks out at night is because she must be exhausted,kwim?I wouldn't want my 16 year old out wandering the street at 1:00 a.m. and if someone saw him I would want them to tell me...Richard's mom will NOT take kindly to me telling her that I have seen him out walking the street that late.Everytime I've seen him I have fussed at him and told him to go home.Once or twice I have flat out asked him WHERE his mother thought he was...he just grins and says,"Sleeping." Telling her will probably cause another argument between us. (Like I said she DOESN'T like people telling her anything BAD about her kids)

So,now what?Do I intervene and tell her something the entire neighborhood knows and nobody has told her because of her reactions or do I leave well enough alone? I would feel HORRIBLE if something happened to her son \

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
19bubbles91
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:33 AM
I'd tell her and then if she did nothing I'd call the cops

Where I live all kids under 18 must be inside at midnight unless with an adult

The cops will most likely just take him home unless they get more then one call
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:35 AM
1 mom liked this
Next time you see him out wondering, just call the cops and say the 16 year old down the street sneaks out an roams the neighborhood every night at 1am.
Most cities have a curfew for minors. The cops will collect him and take him home. That bitch can't argue with the cops.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LLbaby143
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:47 AM

Tell her exactly that! U don't want to cause her to be defensive and u just want her to be aware, her son is sneaking out. Don't imply he's being BAD but just let her know ur concern. ... That's what I'd do.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:16 AM

I would try to tell her one more time.  Empasize (sp?) that he is not doing anything illegal and that he seems to just be wandering around.  Next step would be calling non emergency line for police.   Would he actually stay inside if he were invited at your home ?   I would worry he could get Joey in to trouble if he were up to something just by association.

CrystalPystol
by Ms. Hotwheels on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:20 AM
Tell her. Or just call the police. He doesn't need to be wandering around like that.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:33 AM

I know someone needs to tell her but the entire neighborhood is afraid of how she reacts....But,I don't care how old the kid is/how big the kid is wandering around at 1:00 a.m. is dangerous.And yes,if I let him come in he will stay the entire night at my house--he doesn't go wandering out.

I feel for her and her kids.Her ex hubby emptied their bank account and up and split one day.Part of the reason Richard wanders instead of sleeping could be that....kwim?

Quoting frndlyfn:

I would try to tell her one more time.  Empasize (sp?) that he is not doing anything illegal and that he seems to just be wandering around.  Next step would be calling non emergency line for police.   Would he actually stay inside if he were invited at your home ?   I would worry he could get Joey in to trouble if he were up to something just by association.

momFDNYwife
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I would just try to tell her nicely. How she reacts is on her. You're doing the right thing, if something were to happen to him, her argument then would be," why didn't you tell me?"  Kwim?  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)