Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help with ideas for adhd 6 year old boy routines

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 11 Replies

My son was diagnosed with adhd. He started meds this summer. They work great however it takes about an hour for them to start and they wear off right before dinner (Adderall) Mornings are terrible. It takes 45 minutes at least for him to eat a bowl of cereal, 20+ minutes to get dressed, and well its a struggle for an hour and half to get ready for school. I can't give him meds until after he eats as it takes his appetite away within 15 minutes so our routine so far has been eat right away, take meds, then get ready however the meds don't start working till we are almost ready for school. Evenings are terrible with fighting to get homework done, taking a bath, eating, etc. The teachers have been great as they know I am trying. He just started behavior therapy this week. One thing he said was to make a routine (which I thought I already had) and make structure and that will help. Of course that hour went so fast that so many questions left unanswered. So now I am searching for tools to use to help with our everyday tasks. So I am looking for suggestions to help. Sorry for this being so long and I appreciate any suggestions....

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 1:48 PM

My son who is now 11 was also diagnosed with the Add/Adhd at the age of 5. It is difficult and things have to be just right for him or it's a major melt down. We put him on a time limit when eating. We coulnd't wait around for him any longer we would see how long it took our other children to eat and based it off that and used a timer. We now dont even need a timer he just does it on his own. My son used to take Vyvance it worked really well except the pills do wear off every so often and you have to either up the dosage or change the meds all together. He is now taking adderall and he has to take a small dosage of adderal when he gets home in the afternoon because it does wear off by the time he gets home from  school. The dose he takes in the afternoon wears off around bed time. Maybe you can talk to your sons doctor about getting him a little extra help for the afternoon. Another thing we do for our son is he has all of the things he needs to do hanging up in his room. Kind of like a chore chart but not really it seems to help also. Good luck I know how difficult it can be.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

good luck

purpleducky
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

We have a set structure. We have an emotion chart to help him identify feelings. We also have apology notes for when he misbehaves. We have labeled everything so he knows where everything goes. There is also a ADD/ADHD group on here that has been great.

lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
I'm having a difficult time with my 5yr old ADHD kiddo in the mornings as well. We have to be up by 5am to leave the house by 640am. And then I'm still late some days because he takes forever to do stuff. Once hes at school the rest of the day is fine but mornings are KILLER! We have a set schedule every day, but we just can't get it together in the mornings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Also, BIG hugs Mama!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:12 PM

When I was that age I took Ritalin and I took it twice a day. My mom didn't do anything else but give me the meds which really doped me up.

cowboygal
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:03 PM
Both my children are on Aderrall. My son 9 takes it twice a day. Morning and right after lunch as the extended tab wore off before he got home and homework time was hell. If he took it after school, it kept him up at night. This way helps best. My dd is 7 and has only been on it a month. She was changed over to extended release Tuesday because we found it wearing of towards homework time. He might need more than one dose throughout the day. What mg is he on?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rosesandlilys
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:13 PM

Ive heard that your best bet is to time everything he does out according to when he has to do it, by giving him warnings in a time frame. Such as, make a morning schedule for him and write it out and put it on the fride, and then give him warnings at intervals. Example:

He is eating his breakfast, he has lets say 10 minutes to do so. After 5 minutes you say: You have 5 minutes and then we are *insert next task here* and then give him another one minute warning: You have 1 minute and then its time to *insert next task here*.

Jenniferz77
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:13 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas. Can someone share how long do I allow for breakfast? The problem is the meds take away his appetite and we struggle enough to get him to eat. I'm afraid if I limit to say 15 minutes he won't eat enough. We are already on the border of having to change meds because of his weight. The doctor says if he doesn't start gaining then they will have to take him off. I just started looking into nutrition shakes but that's another question (if someone has ideas on that I would appreciate that too)
Jenniferz77
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN