Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

b-day parties for twins...what do YOU do? And does being a "B" lister make any difference?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM
  • 37 Replies
1 mom liked this

My son was just invited to a birthday party for twin boys. One of them is in his class at school (2nd grade) and the other one he doesn't know. Do we buy for both boys, or just the one in his class? Do we spend the usual amount times two gifts if we buy for both? The "standard" rate one spends on a birthday gift for a classmate around here is about $25.  So that would be $50, which seems excessive IMO. Then again, two $12.50 gifts...IDK what I can get for twelve bucks...and I don't like the idea of one toy they can share, either. We received the invitation in the backpack from school yesterday (Wednesday) and the party is this Saturday. Handwritten on the printed invitation was "apologies for short notice", so I suspect my son may have been on the "B" list, and perhaps enough "A" listers didn't respond to make the minimum. (It's at a karate/dodge ball facility.) Whether or not he was"A" or "B" list doesn't really factor into the question of what we should do...or does it? So, what do you think?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof4bzN2gz
by Julie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:32 PM
I don't have twins but I have 2 that share a bday. They were both born on march 7, one in 2001 and one in 2007. I do a shared party every year. I don't expect people tp go all out on gifts. If it were me I say if you would normally spend $30 on one and can't or don't want to spend $30 on each then half it spend $15 on each.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JulyBabies
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:07 PM

One gift, just for his classmate.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I actually like the idea if something they can share.

If you don't like that, I think a gift for his actual friend is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
im_not_trollin
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I would get them both a gift. Even if I couldn't get something that fantastic, I wouldn't leave one out. These are second graders, take your son to the dollar tree and let him go wild, they have some neat stuff for kids...

ETA my two oldest girls share a birthday party every year, both names are on invitation and generally people bring a gift for each, nothing extravagant, but something or a game for together....

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

I would get both kids a gift. I like the idea of a shared gift or something in the $15 range.

grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:03 PM

What if I go the easy route and get a $15 Walmart card for each of them? Or is that too cheap? I don't want to look like I'm short-changing them because they're twins, and I'd never go to a party for a singleton with a $15 gift card. Maybe a $15 gift, because no one would really know what I paid, but when it's a gift CARD I would never do less than $25 per child.

Also, if I do two gifts, should they be the same, or different? He really doesn't know either kid well - the one is in his class and the other he doesn't know at all.

HaleyCovington
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:06 PM

Or maybe they were just late on getting invites out? The B list.. It's a children's party not the grammys. I think you may be over thinking it. I would buy two gifts but that's just me. It's a party for 2 kids so 2 gifts would be appropriate.

berlgirl1224
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

Quoting JulyBabies:

One gift, just for his classmate.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
2ninos4me
by 2blessings4me on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
$15 on a gift card screams cheap !! Give them a gift each because they sre individuals and should be seen as such !!! ..... Btw , im a twin :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grammarpolice
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:13 PM

Quoting HaleyCovington:

Or maybe they were just late on getting invites out? The B list.. It's a children's party not the grammys. I think you may be over thinking it. I would buy two gifts but that's just me. It's a party for 2 kids so 2 gifts would be appropriate.

Well, the RSVP date on the printed invitation was this past Saturday, then handwritten under it was the apology for short notice, so that was the conclusion I came to, especially since the place it's at has a set price for a minimum number of kids (they won't pay less if less than 12 attend). Yes, I am thinking I will do two gifts. Just not sure I want to spend $50 for kids he only knows one of, but not wanting to stand out as the one who gave cheap gifts either.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN