Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I SHOULD HAVE WATCHED HER MORE!!!

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: who is at fault here?

Options:

the 17 yr old

parents

both

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 37

View Results

seriously???

i am watching katie right now and this 17 yr old girl smoked fake majiuana and went and had mutiple strokes and such and all i hear is the parents take the blame. the parents say they should have watched her more

she is 17 yrs old and in a year she would have legeally been an adult and you blame the parents???? obviously at that they do know the risks and even though they choose not to heed the warnings so whose fault is it more?

(the parents was involved just not helicopter parents)

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:25 PM

BUMP!

sue5109
by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:26 PM
1 mom liked this
The parents should have taught her better earlier on. 17 is too late to try and teach your kids right from wrong and they definitely make their own decisions by then but they should have taught her to know better from much younger..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:30 PM

The child made the choice at 17. She would have found a way to try it, if she was dead set to try it.  THey are not at fault if they have taught her about drugs and did their best for her.  At 17 children make bad choices without realizing it can cost them the rest of their lives.

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:55 PM

BUMP!

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:18 PM

I'm not sure I understand what point there is in blame and in blaming someone or trying to do so. The young woman, while approaching adulthood, isn't there yet. We know that the brains of young adults are not fully functional until they are somewhere in their twenties. Even so in our culture/society young people of that age function fairly independently and parents cannot, even if they wished to do so, watch them every second of every day, it just isn't possible unless you have a dungeon. Having said all that I would think it would be more important to inquire into the reality in which this tragedy happened in the hopes of being able to help other young people and their parents and families avoid such problems. 

Young people will take chances, in fact the part of the brain that completes its development last is the area responsible for impulse control. The best we can do is to try and impress on them the importance of being safe and responsible and hope that they can grow to full adulthood without such a thing happening to them. 

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:20 PM

My parenst DID teach me better but even still I got into doing drugs at a young age due to being raped. It's not always the parents 

Quoting sue5109:

The parents should have taught her better earlier on. 17 is too late to try and teach your kids right from wrong and they definitely make their own decisions by then but they should have taught her to know better from much younger..

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Feb. 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

i get you

but at 17 the parents has to allow some independence

i knew at 17 the risks invovled with drugs

hence why i never tried them

but for the parents to sit and blame themselves because the child decided she didnt want to listen *i believe she had been in counseling and such for this same reason*

Quoting GaleJ:

I'm not sure I understand what point there is in blame and in blaming someone or trying to do so. The young woman, while approaching adulthood, isn't there yet. We know that the brains of young adults are not fully functional until they are somewhere in their twenties. Even so in our culture/society young people of that age function fairly independently and parents cannot, even if they wished to do so, watch them every second of every day, it just isn't possible unless you have a dungeon. Having said all that I would think it would be more important to inquire into the reality in which this tragedy happened in the hopes of being able to help other young people and their parents and families avoid such problems. 

Young people will take chances, in fact the part of the brain that completes its development last is the area responsible for impulse control. The best we can do is to try and impress on them the importance of being safe and responsible and hope that they can grow to full adulthood without such a thing happening to them. 

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:42 PM

the 17 year old.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN