Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

must-have baby things?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM
  • 12 Replies

My boss is expecting twins in a couple weeks and we had a baby shower for her today.  She got all kinds of onesies and diapers and boppy pillows, etc.  My husband and I want to buy her something special from us because she was really great when our little one was born, giving me two extra weeks of paid maternity leave, etc.   So I was thinking of putting together a basket of sorts of all the "little" things that new moms don't think to register for, but then you end up needing... for example, bottle brush, bottle warmer (debatable, I know I use mine but other find them useless), baby bathtub,  baby thermometer & nail clippers.  diaper bag things like wipes cases or changing pad, nursing cover, car seat covers, baby carriers, etc.

What am I missing????  What did you end up needing that you didn't register for or get at your shower??

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cjsix
by faith on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:04 AM

When my daughter had her first I put together a basket filled with tea(including Mother's Milk as she was nursing),granola bars,fresh fruit,some magazines I knew she'd like,etc...When she had her second I added juice boxes,a few books for her first,and some fruit snacks. She Loved it! I did it so she could have things she may want where she sat while nursing.

Armywife081011
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:24 AM

baby gate, child proofing items, diapers, diapers, more diapers, hyging items. I have currently been on a anti johnson+johnson kick and have turned to organic soaps for baby for health reasons. If she is ebf you could get her some fenugreek which helps with milk supply and makes your sweat smell like maple syrup lol. Those are just things I wish people wouldve gotten for me. 

Mommy2AlexAraya
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:32 AM

I made a basket for my best friend that she loved. I went with a bath theme and got a few things of baby wash, lotion, nail clippers, diaper rash cream, wash cloths, hooded towels, powder, a couple of cute jammie sets and then I added some things for her. I got her bubble bath, shower gel, lotion, body spray, slippers, and a jammie set.

littlepinkrose
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I would say add some things for her.  Most of the time we have all the baby stuff and you made an awesome basket similar to one my mom made me but get stuff for the mom.  We always forget the mom she is having the baby and will need just some girly stuff to feel normal again.

Caitlyn137
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:12 AM
I love your ideas .
I really needed mittens for my newborn
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jenni_Lynne71
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:12 AM
Make a basket with stuff just for her....bubble bath, lotions, shower gel, books, magazines, candles, snacks, etc. Everyone seems to always forget about mom. Lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:46 AM

IF she is breastfeeding....  get her a nursing cover, nursing pads, milk storage bags, diapers, wipes, etc.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:50 AM
1 mom liked this

as a mom of twins, the thing that would have helped me out the most at first would have been freezer meals or delivery service. I dont have any family nearby, so me and dh were taking care of the babies with no extra help. I lived on Cheezits and Diet Coke for weeks

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:55 AM
To be honest, I think books are the greatest gifts. I read to my daughter all the time and now she is even reading to me ( she is in kindergarten now)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes!! This!!! And wipes!! Lots of wipes!!! Baby bum cream, baby nail clippers, stuff for bottles. You could go through that "accessory" aisle at Babies R Us and make up a basket? Or get her and her hubby a gift certificate to a restaurant with an offer to babysit the twins for her when she's feeling up to it. 

Quoting Armywife081011:

baby gate, child proofing items, diapers, diapers, more diapers, hyging items. I have currently been on a anti johnson+johnson kick and have turned to organic soaps for baby for health reasons. If she is ebf you could get her some fenugreek which helps with milk supply and makes your sweat smell like maple syrup lol. Those are just things I wish people wouldve gotten for me. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)