Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Oh my...would your child take something from an older kid and EAT it?Eta to add poll.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM
  • 55 Replies

Poll

Question: As the older child's parents would you have given out a consequence for the horrible act of tricking the 5th grader into eating and/or handing out this stuff?Or would you just let the school handle it?

Options:

Yes.I would support what the school did to him but I would also add my own punishment.

No.I would leave well enough alone and only use what the school did as punishment

I would make my son get a part-time job and help pay for the medical bills of the children that went to the hospital

Other,because there is always an other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 11

View Results

this is the phone call/email I got yesterday from my 12 year olds school. Brian said that the child that caused all this was an 8th grader...He tricked a 5th grader into taking the crystals and eating them.The 8th grader told the other kid that these things were "pop rocks".

Hello, this is Asst. Superintendent Dr. V** W***** calling to inform you of an incident at S*** on Feb. 27th. A student grew crystals, from a science kit, at home, brought them to school and gave them to a student. This student passed them out as rock candy. 24 students accepted the substance and ate it. This was reported to the teachers who then reported to the administration. Parents of students who were involved, JC Sherriff Dept., and Poison Control were notified. SMUE was notified that the substance was not narcotic and that symptoms would be mild for small amounts to severe for larger amounts of ingestion. Four parents took their child to the emergency room as a precaution. There were no serious injuries. The students involved will be disciplined according to JCSD policies. This would be a great time to talk with your child about the dangers of taking any substance from another student. We will address this issue with all of our teachers and students. We are putting this information out to inform you about what happened and to help quiet the rumor mill. Thank you for your time.

Thought for the day :

Women are angels and when someone breaks our wings we simply continue to fly...on a broomstick. We are flexible that way.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:37 AM

BUMP!

beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:40 AM
1 mom liked this
Man, I sure hope they wouldn't! They're 6 and 4.5 and we've talked MANY times about not taking food or candy from anyone at school, but you never know how well they'll stick to that :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:42 AM
1 mom liked this

My 4 year old with autism would but that is it. My 8 & 11 year olds were offered food from a teen at the camp. They turned it down because they didn't know her. They told me when they got back to our site. I was happy with them.

EvaTheDiva29
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 7:46 AM

sadly yes. but one is 2. my ds who is 7, has no idea of the danger of taking things from other kids. luckily we haven't had any situations come up that would put him in danger. 

acrogodess
by Lissette on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:06 AM
No. I'm very particular. I had a bad experience growing up with a kid trying to get me to "loosen up" by giving me something to drink. My grandma always told me, if it doesn't come from the original container and you don't know someone that well, don't accept it. Well, the warning was ringing loud and clear in my mind and heart and he was pretty mad that I wouldn't drink it. He was trying to get me drunk or slip me a Mickey. He sexually molested me and tried to not stop when asked to not touch me. He didn't get to rape me. I left before he could get that far after I threatened to scream for help if he didn't quit it.

My kids are now 10&12 and are aware of the story and won't accept things from people they don't know.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:24 AM

BUMP!

atmomma
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Sadly, my 7yo ds has done that. While walking around the block with dd and their buddies (ranging from 8-12yo) they came across a horse trailer with horse feed on it. The man that owned it was there (it was at his house) and the boys asked what it was. The man told them and then said they could try it if they wanted. DS came home all excited to tell me that he had eaten "what the cows eat" and it tasted like coffe and jolly ranchers! DH marched right down to the house to talk to the guy but he wasn't home. Surprisingly, the man came to us to apologize. He didn't see the harm because it was an all-natural feed, but I'm sure he'll think twice about it now!

My kids will too now that they've been throughly talked to.

shivasgirl
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:44 AM

mine wouldnt. They are strict vegetarian and are always afraid that there is hidden gelatin in stuff

LuvingMy3Girls
by Silver Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Yes I'm sure my 9dd would. They do many activities with the upper grades (7 and 8) plus she knows many of them because of her older sister
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Momtogirls0823
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 9:41 AM

Wow.  I don't think they would but will have a talk with them this weekend for sure!  That's crazy!  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN