Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

mom's of boys that have had testical problems when an infant

My son just had his two month doctors appointment this morning.  When he was born, one of his testicles had not dropped and the doctor said most of the time it could take up to two months to drop.  Well, it hasn't dropped yet.  The doctor checked him out and said it could have possibly gotten twisted when I was pregnant with him.  My husband did not go with me, he had to go to work this morning, so I was by myself.  When I told my husband, he said it sounded like it could be a hernia.   The doctor said to come back in two months and if it hasn't dropped by then, we will have to go to a hospital in Pittsburgh to get it fixed.  If it is a hernia, should it be looked at sooner?  Wouldn't it be hurting him?  We took him to the doctor 3 weeks ago and told them that my son cries and is cranky for hours on end and there's nothing else left for us to do anything and they determined he was colicky, but now I'm thinking this may be the reason.  Because when he cries or is cranky, it's not like what other people have described there kid's being colicky.  I know not all kids are the same, but could this be why he's upset a lot of the time? Should I get a second opinion?

Also, if any mom's son's have had a hernia like this, was he able to play contact sports later in life?  The doctor told me he might not be able to play any and that makes me so sad for him.   Thanks for any advice.

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Replies (11-13):
TrouserMouse
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I am not sure how you are thinking it is a hernia and not an undescended testicle.  I am confused by that part.  I have a nephew that is 5 and still has one undescended. they have been watching it since he was born.  His will descend when pushed down by the doc, but then retracts back up.  Because it will come down when pushed, the doc is just following it.  I think when the testicle can't even be detected and won't descend when the doctor pushes, that is typically when they surgically bring it down. I don't think it is that big of a procedure though.

shoot4thestars
by Gold Member on Mar. 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Quoting TrouserMouse:

I am not sure how you are thinking it is a hernia and not an undescended testicle.  I am confused by that part.  I have a nephew that is 5 and still has one undescended. they have been watching it since he was born.  His will descend when pushed down by the doc, but then retracts back up.  Because it will come down when pushed, the doc is just following it.  I think when the testicle can't even be detected and won't descend when the doctor pushes, that is typically when they surgically bring it down. I don't think it is that big of a procedure though.

I'm not sure how my husband thought it might be a hernia either.  The doctor said it could have gotten twisted and stuck up there when I was pregnant with him.  He said if it got twisted too bad, sometimes they have to remove it.  I'm hoping they won't have to.  We made an appointment in a few weeks at the Children's Hospital to have it pushed down surgically.  Hopefully, it works for him. 

mamivon2
by on Mar. 31, 2013 at 1:41 AM

One of my sons testicles didnt dro. .. we got it done before he started play schooI he was born in march 02 and w got it done in dec 04 if I remember correctly

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)