Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Everybody had one. What was YOURS?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
  • 79 Replies

Your "plan" that is.

I never had any plans on getting married and I wanted maybe one kid. I went to school for Hospitality and Tourism Management with an emphasis in Special Event Planning and I wanted to go to New York to work for a high end event firm.

I graduated in 2001... just 4 months before 9-11. I chose to take the summer off and waitress while I "played" and by the time I was ready to look for a job, there were none because of the events in September that year.

After that I decided to apply for a job teaching in Japan. I got it... was a month from getting on the plane and going to Japan for a year (min.) and I met DH. I can't say I'm upset I stayed, because we are still together with a happy family... but I often wonder just what I passed up on.

This gal who was never going to have kids or get married ended up a SAHM for 6 years and now I sell advertising.

Makes me sad to think I let so much opportunity pass me by.

What was your plan?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this
College, medical degree, maybe in forensics. My bff was going to get a job in forensics and we were going to work/live together.however i got married had kids. I plan to go back to school next spring, get something in nursing. My bff is almost done with her forensics degree. Im so proud of her!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Nope, never had one. The only thing I knew is that I wanted to be a mother, but never knew what career path I wanted to take. 

shoot4thestars
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:04 PM

I knew I wanted to be married.  I knew I only wanted one child.  I also wanted to move somewhere where it doesn't get very cold often and hardly ever snows, if not at all.  I, so far, only got two of those.  My husband and my son.  Maybe someday we can move to a warm location.

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:09 PM
Before I got together with Dh I didn't want kids. I was going to get married and train horses for a living.
Not how it happened lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Snapdragon88
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:10 PM
I had a very generic plan. Go to college, lol. We started our family first but we're still graduating with degrees so I'm still technically following my plan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goldilocksbecky
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:11 PM
1 mom liked this

I find it a little odd that you're refering to having a plan only in the past tense.  I should hope that everyone HAS one and you'd be curious to hear what their plan IS.  If you want to talk about how it compares to the plans they may have had when they were younger, that's fine.  But something about the "my plans are all in the past" tone of your post is a little troublesome.

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
My plan growing up was graduate high school, get married, go to college have my first kid by the time I was 23 and be a SAHM.

Well all the above happened except I did not have my son until I was 26. I am a SAHM now. We carefully planned and saved our money before we had our son so that I could stay home with him.

Future plans include having or adopting a baby and going back to work part time once my kids are in school full time.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momma2mms
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I wanted to be a criminal pro-filer for the FBI. I made some bad decisions as a teenager and let my dreams slip out of my hands. I didn't think I would get married or have kids. I have 2 kids and have been married 7 years. I am a stay at home mom. I love my life, but think what if some times. I'm going back to college in the fall.

ATG499
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:00 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't really have a plan. I got pregnant before I was even old enough to make an official "plan." I know I wanted like four kids when I was younger, and I wanted to be a pharmacist. Now that I'm a mom, one child is good for me! Still want to be a pharmacist though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
working-girl
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:16 PM

I'm just reflecting. I don't find it troublesome. I still have plans. I want more for my family and myself and I'm working on achieving that. However, I know that what I wanted back then will never again be within my reach. So, time to reevaluate my future goals.

Quoting goldilocksbecky:

I find it a little odd that you're refering to having a plan only in the past tense.  I should hope that everyone HAS one and you'd be curious to hear what their plan IS.  If you want to talk about how it compares to the plans they may have had when they were younger, that's fine.  But something about the "my plans are all in the past" tone of your post is a little troublesome.

A CAMPING WE WILL GO - Do you LOVE to camp? Maybe something you've never done but would like to try? Join us for camping conversation, reviews, tips, recipes, and more!http://www.cafemom.com/group/118687

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)