Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Hi! I'm thinking maybe my 4yr old might have pink eye. His eye is really swollen and pink only around his eye and eyelid. Not sure if its from him rubbing it or not. Do they need antibiotics or does home treatment work?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 11:47 AM
Replies (11-20):
mistie900
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:08 PM

We had to take my dd to the doctor for it. They gave us eye drops and it cleared up pretty well by the next day.

Diana_B.
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:02 PM
Update. It wasn't Pinkeye like I thought. He has "Stye." He is on an antibiotic for his eye. He looks like crap today because it has actually gotten worse. :( I'll see if I can post a photo later. I did have breast milk that I could have used even though he's 4 since I have a 1yr old. Wouldn't try honey as its sticky and sounds like a nightmare to the eye. Although, honey does have healing remedies. :) I took him to the Urgent Care yesterday morning.
Diana_B.
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

New Message

Diana_B.
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:09 PM

New Message

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:13 PM
It would be crusty too. Without gunk it's from rubbing
jadedcynic
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I get styes frequently. Warm compresses and ibuprofen help with the pain, while the antibiotics start to kick in. Regular eye drops can help with the itchiness and dryness of the eye.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:45 PM

You need to take him to the doctor.

FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Oh a stye - those are easy enough, tell him next time he feels that tingle let you know warm wet teabag for a few hours should do the trick

Quoting Diana_B.:

Update. It wasn't Pinkeye like I thought. He has "Stye." He is on an antibiotic for his eye. He looks like crap today because it has actually gotten worse. :( I'll see if I can post a photo later. I did have breast milk that I could have used even though he's 4 since I have a 1yr old. Wouldn't try honey as its sticky and sounds like a nightmare to the eye. Although, honey does have healing remedies. :) I took him to the Urgent Care yesterday morning.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Same here.  I keep them until they expire.  That way if another family member gets it, we don't have to go to the doc.

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

I don't know of any home treatments for pinkeye. I got eye drops from a doctor.

mommysangelface
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:00 PM

Does he have stuff coming out of the corners of his eye(s)?

my ds5 had it 2 weeks ago. 

my 14 month old got it 2 days ago

me and dh got it last night

you need antibotics and frequent wiping of the eye

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)