Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What age did you or will you start your kids in sports ?

Posted by   + Show Post
I am starting my soon to be 3 (April) in t-ball and soccer this year. They are both 3-4 year old leagues. I think he will have a blast in them. He loves playing sports already
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Replies (11-20):
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:27 PM
We have played with my son here. He understands you hit the ball and run to the next base but don't understand winning/losing, score, ect which is fine. He knows in soccer you try to make it in your net but not positions :/

Quoting kitty8199:

I'm thinking tee ball at 3. She should get it by then

Quoting Tipsen:

I agree. My cousin signed her daughter up for soccer at 1 1/2 but wasn't old enough to understand at all. Here they don't start sports till 3 but that is fine with me :)

Quoting kitty8199:

When she its old enough to understand. They have soccer for 2 year olds here. They won't understand and will just run around. I want her to actually know its a game.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM
DS was 4 1/2, he start3d with soccer. I can't remember how old DD was...I want to say 5, she started with soccer and dance then.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andersongirl562
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:28 PM
My kids were 3
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
steelcage
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM

I really want my 5 and 6 yo's in sports, have been pushing it with DH for the last year and a half but he refuses. Mostly because we can't afford it. It's depressing. They just go to school, and come home and sit.

Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:29 PM
That's awesome. These leagues are rec too but they don't keep score till 5. The goal is to teach the sport/positions :)

Quoting CampClan:

My oldest was in rec soccer at 4. Today he is almost 17 & will be a senior next fall & has played every season but one- seasons with rec soccer were spring & fall! I think he missed one fall due to my work schedule & practices being at 5pm (I didn't get off til 530).

My other kids don't play sports (lack of interest) but the youngest who will be 4 soon wants to play soccer! I'm very excited for this!

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:30 PM
We will be starting mommy and me gymnastics in 3 months. I think when he is 3 there is more options available.
CrimsonRadiance
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:31 PM
My oldest was 6 when he started Taekwondo. My middle son was 5 when he started and my youngest started right before his 5th birthday last month. :-)
Tipsen
by Bronze Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:33 PM
Yeah sports are important for me. Some rec centers offer discounted or an allowance per family towards activies at them including sports. The one I am signing my son up for is in the city next to mine. My suburb is $90 for each sport. The city next to mine is $35 for t-ball and $40 for soccer. It is about the same distance to the field too because I live on the boarder of the city :)

Quoting steelcage:

I really want my 5 and 6 yo's in sports, have been pushing it with DH for the last year and a half but he refuses. Mostly because we can't afford it. It's depressing. They just go to school, and come home and sit.

sarah824
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 5:38 PM

The rule in our house was sports could start when they started school.

honey27
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 6:00 PM
Age 3
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN