Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Spina Bifida

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
  • 10 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hi:) I am Tiffany (i am new here). I have a beautiful baby boy with spina bifida. I am hopin to get to know other moms who have children with spina bifida.
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I don't have a child with it, but I was born with it.  Specifically, I was born with an L5/S1 myelomeningocele.   Welcome to CafeMom!

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM
Welcome . I do not have any first hand experience with it other than working with children in a special needs classroom on a volunteer basis years ago.
ms-vero
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
BabyGsMommy11
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM
My baby brother (27) has spina bifida (myelomeningocele). His spine was exposed at his L4 & L5. His journey has lasted longer than any doctor ever said it would. He is paralyzed from the armpits down.

Welcome and congratulations on your new little one!!!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GirlyMomma13
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 1:27 AM

@taniamorse85 - Thank you! I cannot think of his but i know its low (mild). 

@frndlyfn-Thank you! I took a class in school where we got to help with special needs children in the classroom. I loved helping and I got to learn alot. 

@BabyGsMommy11- Thank you! I also have a brother (23) with Spina Bifida.Im not sure his but he is paralized from the waist down. I hope all the best for your brother:)

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Hi and welcome! I don't have experience with that but my son is on the autism spectrum and my girls have SPD probably autism as well.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lapcounter
by Super Mom on Mar. 3, 2013 at 9:41 AM
Our daughter has a very mild form, her spin luckily was fused and it wasn't exposed. She is going in fir sugery in that area at the end of the month to have a mole removed off her dimple area because the doctor said moles in that area and condition can go wrong very quickly without anyone knowing it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerthus
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Aww, I'm sure he's precious! My kids don't have sb, but my sister's son does. He's grown, 34 years old, and he's a wonderful wonderful person. He has what I believe is called mylomeningicele (sp?), the most severe form; he was born with bilateral club feet, his feet were also twisted backwards, etc. and of course he had the opening in his spine. He has had over 50 surgeries of one kind and another in his life; right now his main problem is kidney function and bladder problems; when he was 15 his bladder had completely disintegrated basically and he had to have a new bladder created for him from parts of his own stomach and colon tissue; that was his toughest surgery and he's had bladder infection problems all his life since then. He's had several shunt surgeries, when he was small tons of surgeries on his feet but they never really worked; he walked with leg braces and arm crutches till age 9 and then got severe arthritis which eroded his hip joints too much to walk anymore. So he's been wheelchair bound ever since then. But of course he was born almost 35 years ago and I know there have been so many advances in medicine and treatments since then, so I'm sure things will be much easier and more options for therapy, etc available for your child than Chris had way back then. I've known several children over the years with sb, and they all have had such sweet, lovely spirits and such positive outlooks and grace in their hearts!

GirlyMomma13
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 2:07 PM

@jconney80-Thank you! My boyfriends cousin has autism. I just love him and he is so sweet. I took a class where we got to help in a special needs classroom and we got to help one of the students and i helped a girl with autism:)

@lapcounter- I hope all goes well with her surgery!

@nerthus- Im sorry he had/havin it hard:( I wish him the best! My experiance with my son has been amazing.His personalitly is he is a very happy baby and just smiles all the time:) He is very outgoing and friendly, he loves being around people:) We have our bad days and we have our good lol:) 

mummaluvshrbbs6
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:28 AM

I dont have a child with it but my brother has it. He has tethered cord/occulta. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)