Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Women Dies After Nurse Refuses To Do CPR **Added video

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 216 Replies

Saw this on the news today... Completely dumfounded!!! There is nothing about a dnr, the nurse was saying its their policy not to perform cpr.

http://www.turnto23.com/news/local-news/glenwood-gardens-in-bakersfield-refuses-cpr-releases-statement-on-policy-and-residents-death

Nurse refuses to perform CPR despite 911 dispatcher's plea

View more videos at: http://nbclosangeles.com/?__source=embedCode.

An elderly woman being cared for at a California retirement facility died following the refusal of a nurse at the facility to perform CPR on the woman after she collapsed, authorities said.

When Lorraine Bayless, an 87-year-old resident of Glenwood Gardens, Bakersfield, collapsed at the facility around 11 a.m. Tuesday, a staff member called 911 but refused to give the woman CPR, according to a recording of the call.

In refusing the 911 dispatcher's insistence that she perform CPR, the nurse can be heard telling the dispatcher that it was against the retirement facility's policy to perform CPR.

During the exchange between the nurse and the dispatcher, the dispatcher can be heard saying "I don't understand why you're not willing to help this patient.''

Read more stories at NBCLosAngeles.com

An ambulance arrived several minutes after the call and took Bayless to a hospital, where she was later pronounced dead. She has been identified as a resident of the home's independent facility, which is separate from the skilled and assisted nursing facility.

The retirement facility released a statement extending its condolences to the family and said its "practice is to immediately call emergency medical personnel for assistance and to wait with the individual needing attention until such personnel arrives.''

The statement also said a "thorough internal review of the matter'' would be conducted.

A call to the facility by The Associated Press seeking more information on the incident was not immediately returned.

Bayless' daughter told a reporter for KGET, the NBC affiliate in Bakersfield, that she was also a nurse and was satisfied with the care her mother received.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/03/03/17167379-nurse-refuses-to-perform-cpr-despite-911-dispatchers-plea?lite

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Nursesummer
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
Did she have a DNR, I wonder
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:55 PM
She may have a do not resuscitate on file. They have to watch her die.
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:56 PM
2 moms liked this

The woman was 87 and her DD was OK they didn't revive her. Then thats OK I guess. Many people have DNRs in place. I would hope every person that has a relative sees this and knows the policy.

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 4:59 PM

They are not saying anything about the women having a dnr in place (I am very familiar with those, both my great grandparents had them and as soon as you walked in their door they were posted on the wall so any emergency personell coming in saw them.) Did you watch the video? The nurse was saying its policy for them not to perform cpr so she wouldnt. Never said anything about having a dnr. I will see if I can post the video.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
AmiJanell
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:01 PM
If she has a dnr, which is likely... Then it's not really "refusal" it's just how it works
AmiJanell
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:03 PM
4 moms liked this
Well the media doesn't always share the full truth if it makes for a juicy story...
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:04 PM
3 moms liked this

The nurse followed her companies policies. She could lose everything if she goes against the orders she was given. This is the facilities fault not the nurses.

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:07 PM
2 moms liked this

I dont care if it was the nurse or the home.... That is just wrong. I would never be able to stand by and allow someone to die because of some stupid company policy. I would rather lose everything then have to live with the fact that  I killed someone and yes that is how it would feel to me.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

The nurse followed her companies policies. She could lose everything if she goes against the orders she was given. This is the facilities fault not the nurses.

Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:11 PM
6 moms liked this

So you would be willing to go to jail for this? Lose everything you have? Have your kids out on the streets because you were sued to the point where it destroyed you? My father had a DNR in place and yes I would have sued if someone did CPR on him. I would have taken them for all they were worth and more. That is why these policies are there. She did NOT kill someone. They died naturally. Policies like this are in writing when you are admitted to facilities like this. The family or caregiver signs off that this is acceptable. What is not acceptable is that the dispatcher provided all this information to the media. People are already pissed she leaked it. If the family did I would understand but they did not and the dispatcher was out of line. 

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

I dont care if it was the nurse or the home.... That is just wrong. I would never be able to stand by and allow someone to die because of some stupid company policy. I would rather lose everything then have to live with the fact that  I killed someone and yes that is how it would feel to me.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 5:22 PM

No one said anything about the women having a dnr, if there was then the nurse should have said she has a dnr I cannot do cpr. No its their policy to not do cpr. and one news report said that the family released the tape, not the dispatcher. If the women had a dnr they would have waited until after she died and then call the medical examiner to come get the body. Thats what happened with my great grandfather. The dnr was plainly posted as soon as you walked in the door.

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

So you would be willing to go to jail for this? Lose everything you have? Have your kids out on the streets because you were sued to the point where it destroyed you? My father had a DNR in place and yes I would have sued if someone did CPR on him. I would have taken them for all they were worth and more. That is why these policies are there. She did NOT kill someone. They died naturally. Policies like this are in writing when you are admitted to facilities like this. The family or caregiver signs off that this is acceptable. What is not acceptable is that the dispatcher provided all this information to the media. People are already pissed she leaked it. If the family did I would understand but they did not and the dispatcher was out of line. 

Quoting Ladybugmama86:

Quoting Rust.n.Gears:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN