Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this being rude? Re: birthday party - Poll included

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
  • 88 Replies

Poll

Question: Would you give the cupcake before singing?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 256

View Results

I recently had a party for my DD. it was at my daughters dance school . There was one child whos son came but didnt want to participate in the kids activity. the mom wasnt there, he was with the grandma. so this child ( my close friends son) wants to eat cupcake before we sing HB. ( party is from 2-3:30 to dance, play and have a snack)  

I OFFERED the child pretzels instead , and prob said something like after we sing you can have a cupcake but if hungry there are pretzels . ( this was at a place that didn't have other foods ) I brought juice and snacks . 

My friend thought that wasn't nice or caring of me? I just thought it was etiquette that you wait till after you sing. I thought that was the NORM.  I didn't think it was a big deal. I def dont want people upset with me, but shouldnt there be limits set?the upsetting part was she took it personally . Ad didn't tell me how upset she was about it for a week.

But if there's a next time situation with a friend or acquaintance what should I do? Lets please keep this nice as I'm guessing this could have diff opinions.

Thank you! 

by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
beadingmom17
by Rachel on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:16 PM
10 moms liked this
Uh, you did everything right as far as I'm concerned! You sing and then you get cake/a cupcake. Could you imagine the absolute freaking chaos it would be if you had caved?!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:19 PM
5 moms liked this
Why would someone else's kid get a cupcake before MY kid/the birthday kid? He was just being picky. Like I always tell my girls, if you're hungry, you'll eat what I give you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kellysparkles
by Bronze Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:23 PM
4 moms liked this
So if you had a cake instead you'd have to cut that just for him? No. You did right..other mom is just..I can't think of a good word lol.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MusherMaggie
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:24 PM
2 moms liked this
No, you offered an alternative. Kids have to learn to follow rules.
MamaCourtney617
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:25 PM

You are right here, this is normal party etiquette.  Cake/cupcakes is always at the end of a party

BluePandaDreams
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:27 PM
2 moms liked this
Nope. I would have done the same thing. There is no way some whiny, picky child is going to dip into the birthday cake before my kid.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sam12796
by Sandy on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:31 PM
2 moms liked this

You are not wrong. It is customary for the birthday child to get the first piece of cake whether it be a cupcake or slice of cake. You were not being rude or uncaring. Grandma should have corrected him.

Jukebox_Jenny
by Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Nope, everyone can eat cake/ cupcakes at the same time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KayelynnsMama
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea... You did NOTHING wrong. I'm pretty sure everyone knows that you get cake/cupcakes after singing. And you can't make an exception for one child without making an exception for all the kids.

valkay
by Silver Member on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:34 PM
How old was this kid?? You did right
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)