Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

This nurse should lose her liscense!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
  • 89 Replies

I am a student nurse and I have worked in the medical field a long, long time, in nursing homes! There is no way in Hell I would put the policy of a facility (as in this case) over the life of a patient UNLESS I knew (and it was in chart) the patient was DNR!

Nurse refuses to give CPR because it's 'against policy,' woman dies

15 hrs ago

Disturbing audio from a 911 call is catching people's attention. The call features a California nurse refusing to give CPR to a collapsed elderly woman, despite desperate pleas from the dispatcher, because it was against the retirement home's policy. (The Glenwood Gardens senior living community's policy is to never perform CPR, but to call 911 and wait with the sick resident until help arrives.) The elderly woman, 87-year-old Lorraine Bayless, later died, sparking a wave of outrage over the idea of following regulations at the expense of a human life. Beginning around 1:22, you can hear the Bakersfield nurse, "Colleen," explain the situation at Glenwood Gardens senior living community. "I don't understand why you're not willing to help this patient," the dispatcher replies. [Source]

What do you think of this?

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM
The woman had a dnr and terminal cancer. A friend of mine used to work there and still had a friend there

Quoting momdoes:

I am a student nurse and I have worked in the medical field a long, long time, in nursing homes! There is no way in Hell I would put the policy of a facility (as in this case) over the life of a patient UNLESS I knew (and it was in chart) the patient was DNR!

15 hrs ago

Disturbing audio from a 911 call is catching people's attention. The call features a California nurse refusing to give CPR to a collapsed elderly woman, despite desperate pleas from the dispatcher, because it was against the retirement home's policy. (The Glenwood Gardens senior living community's policy is to never perform CPR, but to call 911 and wait with the sick resident until help arrives.) The elderly woman, 87-year-old Lorraine Bayless, later died, sparking a wave of outrage over the idea of following regulations at the expense of a human life. Beginning around 1:22, you can hear the Bakersfield nurse, "Colleen," explain the situation at Glenwood Gardens senior living community. "I don't understand why you're not willing to help this patient," the dispatcher replies. [Source]

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EyEmTuRtLe
by Turtle on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:58 AM

I understand why she couldn't but she was wrong not too.

babyspots17
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I am guessing if it is the nursing homes policy the families and patients(that are capable) know. I am really surprised this is such a big story.
momdoes
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:02 PM

Why is that info not out? Why didnt the nurse say on the phone with 911 that the patient was a DNR? Its clean cut why she didnt do CPR if thats the case!

Quoting silverdawn99:

The woman had a dnr and terminal cancer. A friend of mine used to work there and still had a friend there

Quoting momdoes:

15 hrs ago

silverdawn99
by Jamie on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
i dont know either
She said that the media edited some parts out

Quoting momdoes:

Why is that info not out? Why didnt the nurse say on the phone with 911 that the patient was a DNR? Its clean cut why she didnt do CPR if thats the case!

Quoting silverdawn99:

Quoting momdoes:

15 hrs ago

LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:04 PM
8 moms liked this
1 famalies are informed of polocies before they live there.

2 she followed company policy

3 she was a dnr
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:11 PM

unfortunately, if she did do CPR and it was against policy, she probably would have gotten fired. 

AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:13 PM
All of this. By doing CPR she also would have risked her employment and opened herself to being sued. She was right to do what she did.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

3 she was a dnr

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LizzieAnnesMom
by ☆Mrs.Winchester☆ on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:15 PM
3 moms liked this
And the company could have been sued.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

All of this. By doing CPR she also would have risked her employment and opened herself to being sued. She was right to do what she did.

Quoting LizzieAnnesMom:

3 she was a dnr

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladybugmama86
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

It completely boggles my mind that there is so little regard for human life. Also that a company policy or the fact that they might be sued allows people to stand by and allow someone to die because some else told them not to.

Now if there is a DNR in place that is a whole other story. But to me this is very upsetting and it completely shocked me. But as with my post will will be told you are a brick wall and cannot comprehend common sense because you feel this way. Which I also think is completely wrong that so many people feel that I am wrong for caring more about others then about someone trying to sue me.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)