Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby with delays

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
  • 8 Replies
My baby is 7mo old and got evaluated last week for delays. They said she has cognitive delay, fine motor delay and social communication delay.

Did your baby have any delays? Do they still have delays or were the delays fixed?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
weezer_cookie
by Platinum Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 1:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes my DD was evaluated at 9 months for gross motor delay. Turns out she has two big deletions in her chromosomes.

She is five now, and I'm very glad I pursued early intervention. I don't even want to think of how delayed she would be without all of the therapy she's received since then.

GL, I know it can be scary. But the more you educate yourself, the more power you get... And the better an advocate you can be for your child and her needs.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
BoxxyBabee
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:12 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:16 PM

my son has a slight speech delay but nothing else so here is a bump mama!

Emma87
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:22 PM

My now three year old had speech problems, but we found out it was due to a tongue tie (the little piece of skin under the tongue was longer that it was supposed to be). We had that clipped and he still is a little hard to understand but most of them time clear. Speech therapy helped a lot. My youngest daughter was delayed some too, but she is 2 now and pretty much caught up to where she is supposed to be. I had a placental abruption and she was born 6 weeks premature weighing 4lbs7 oz.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I was lucky. My son was born with Down's Syndrome. So it was an easy jumping off point. Parents before me had blazed a trail, and services were open to him. There is a protocol of treatment. That was the easy part. So many parents have children, and they don't know what their child has, or why the delay. Don't let delay scare you. It means extra work and therapy sessions. You can google," Early Intervention and the name of your state." Up will pop choices for your area. Contact them. You can have proffessionals come to your house to give your child therapy and teach YOU how to do it. If you work they also go to daycare centers. With early therapy and treatment you will see improvement. Communication delay is going to be a big one. If your child cannot communicate their needs, behaviour issues pop up. Imagine the frustration of wanting needs met and they can't talk to tell you! I would suggest signing, or trying to get your wee one to sign. Anyway, google early intervention and the name of your state and they can help you. They also can direct you to center based therapists. I know it's a shock at first. Don't let it throw you. Good luck mama. Make those phone calls. Make it happen and get it done! Sounds like you are doing already. Early therapy is needed and with it you can watch your child blossom

Cassidysmom611
by Silver Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:45 PM

My DD just had her last EI appt today, as she aged out.  She had a speech delay that I noticed in June of 2011, she was behind in a few areas, as time progressed we noticed delays in many areas.

In June on 2012 we got her into a developmental pediatrician and she was diagnosed with Autism. Early Intervention has been a life saver for myself and my DD. They taught her amazing things, and have helped her flourish. She starts Preschool tomorrow, and I know that they gave her a great foundation.

I think EI is an amazing resource.

Good luck with your little one. I think you are doing the best thing you can, the sooner you get help for any delays- the better.

BoxxyBabee
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 3:50 PM
Thanks :) they offered occupational therapy from first steps

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I was lucky. My son was born with Down's Syndrome. So it was an easy jumping off point. Parents before me had blazed a trail, and services were open to him. There is a protocol of treatment. That was the easy part. So many parents have children, and they don't know what their child has, or why the delay. Don't let delay scare you. It means extra work and therapy sessions. You can google," Early Intervention and the name of your state." Up will pop choices for your area. Contact them. You can have proffessionals come to your house to give your child therapy and teach YOU how to do it. If you work they also go to daycare centers. With early therapy and treatment you will see improvement. Communication delay is going to be a big one. If your child cannot communicate their needs, behaviour issues pop up. Imagine the frustration of wanting needs met and they can't talk to tell you! I would suggest signing, or trying to get your wee one to sign. Anyway, google early intervention and the name of your state and they can help you. They also can direct you to center based therapists. I know it's a shock at first. Don't let it throw you. Good luck mama. Make those phone calls. Make it happen and get it done! Sounds like you are doing already. Early therapy is needed and with it you can watch your child blossom

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 4:04 PM

Great! That will help with the fine motor. I would really read, and play with your child. A child with cognitive delay needs more repitions of something before they " get it." Sometimes they don't " get it" and you put the task on the back burner for a while and reintroduce it later. Speech is very important and hard to get. You can try easy signs. I would teach eat and drink first. Also pictures and animals and the signs for them are pretty easy. My son was learning animal signs around two. As they learn to talk they drop the signs. My son at one point knew over 160 signs. He has pretty much dropped a lot of them. When we read animal books together he is signing and saying all the names. Good for you for getting the therapy for fine motor. You may want to do some genetic testing to see if there is a genetic cause for this. 

Quoting BoxxyBabee:

Thanks :) they offered occupational therapy from first steps

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)