Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

EDIT#2 life sucks

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 63 Replies

House hunting tips? We are actively house hunting to buy our first home. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on what to look for or questions to ask when looking?

EDIT***

well I think we found our home today. It is a new home to be built. We are now waiting to hear how much we are approved for if you all could pray that it is enough for this house and that it all works out for us that would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT#2

well life sucks. it doesn't look like we will be able to get the loan. we make enough money for the loan we wanted our credit score is high enough as well. but because we disputed a few thing on my husbands credit report over a year ago and for some reason those are still showing up on his report as disputed we may not be able to get the loan. so i guess we will be looking for a new rental house because we can not deal with the ass of a manager for this one any longer. wish us luck in finding somewhere to live and soon as our lease is up in a month and a half.

toddler girl                         toddler boy

Sarah                                           Luciano

(10-16-06)                                  (11-27-08)

Code snippet: HTML, Used for some forums.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Have a clear and concise list of must haves and be aware what your budget is.  Do not go over it as tempting as it may seem.  Also be prepared to make some compromises with the higher ticket items you may want.  Watch house hunters to get an idea  LOL.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:37 PM

Quoting frndlyfn:

Have a clear and concise list of must haves and be aware what your budget is.  Do not go over it as tempting as it may seem.  Also be prepared to make some compromises with the higher ticket items you may want.  Watch house hunters to get an idea  LOL.

We have a list of thing such as how many beds, baths, and square footage we want. We know how much we can afford to spend monthly on mortgage, insurance, and taxes. And are waiting on our pre approval letter. What higher ticket items?

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:44 PM

Higher ticket would be granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, the house being up to date style wise., no linoleum for flooring etc.   I watch way too many shows about fixing up houses or looking for houses to move into.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting frndlyfn:

We have a list of thing such as how many beds, baths, and square footage we want. We know how much we can afford to spend monthly on mortgage, insurance, and taxes. And are waiting on our pre approval letter. What higher ticket items?

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 9:49 PM

Ok . Our thought is just to find a house the right size and with a floor plan we love. Anything else can be easily changed later on. As long as the house comes with all kitchen appliances that work where good.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Higher ticket would be granite counter tops, stainless steel appliances, the house being up to date style wise., no linoleum for flooring etc.   I watch way too many shows about fixing up houses or looking for houses to move into.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:02 PM
We too are actively buying our first home (so excited!!!) And I actually left myself some money aside for household appliances because sometimes the houses won't come with things such as washer and dryer.

We made a list of what we must have and what we want to have because they are different for us. For example we must have three bedrooms, but I would order four. It must have a yard but we want a bigger yard for playing at such. Those kinds of things are important especially if your looking on the cheaper end of houses (which we are for our area, still like 250k). Also... And we learned this the hard way, do not look at houses over your budget or on the line of the higher end of your budget. They are a bad idea. Lol.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Ok . Our thought is just to find a house the right size and with a floor plan we love. Anything else can be easily changed later on. As long as the house comes with all kitchen appliances that work where good.

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FooLynRoo
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Find out where you want to buy before you even talk to a realtor.

look at past and current prices

look at school ratings

DRIVE through the neighborhoods several times, day and night. if you're close enough cruise it as much as possible, to get a real feel for it

check out that towns or sections website see what type of community it is.

Go to a ton of open houses, see whats out there, what people are doing, what prices they are asking

Once you've educated  yourself on where you want to live and have an idea of what you want and what you can get for your money

Turn it over to a professional to find you the house.

Take your time, feel free to fall in love, but keep a perspective over the condition of the house.

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:08 PM

Well we have been renting houses for the last two years so we already have our own washer and dryer. We have to find a house that comes with all the kitchen appliances we don't ave money for those separately. We have to have a three died with office or four bed and must have at least two and half baths. We defiantly won't look at anything over our budget. We are looking at home 250 k or less.

Quoting Mommy4-27-08:

We too are actively buying our first home (so excited!!!) And I actually left myself some money aside for household appliances because sometimes the houses won't come with things such as washer and dryer.

We made a list of what we must have and what we want to have because they are different for us. For example we must have three bedrooms, but I would order four. It must have a yard but we want a bigger yard for playing at such. Those kinds of things are important especially if your looking on the cheaper end of houses (which we are for our area, still like 250k). Also... And we learned this the hard way, do not look at houses over your budget or on the line of the higher end of your budget. They are a bad idea. Lol.

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting frndlyfn:

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting frndlyfn:

ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Quoting FooLynRoo:

Find out where you want to buy before you even talk to a realtor.

look at past and current prices

look at school ratings

DRIVE through the neighborhoods several times, day and night. if you're close enough cruise it as much as possible, to get a real feel for it

check out that towns or sections website see what type of community it is.

Go to a ton of open houses, see whats out there, what people are doing, what prices they are asking

Once you've educated  yourself on where you want to live and have an idea of what you want and what you can get for your money

Turn it over to a professional to find you the house.

Take your time, feel free to fall in love, but keep a perspective over the condition of the house.

We already know what area we want to buy in. We have lived here for the last two years in rental homes and love it so we want to stay in the area. Land are familiar with what the prices have been over the last few years in the area. 

Our daughter is already In school in the area but we will be homeschooling next year so that's not a concern. 

We have driven around to many different neighborhoods. We haven't found any open houses yet but are looking for some.

we have already talked to a realtor. 

Our lease is up in a few months so we can't take to much time.

Due9
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 10:25 PM

Don't buy a house in a bad public school zone. Don't buy a corner lot. Don't buy on a busy street. Look at the average cost of homes in that neighborhood and make sure not to pay more than that.

TableforSeven
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:38 PM

Quoting ambermario4ever:

Quoting Due9:

Don't buy a house in a bad public school zone. Don't buy a corner lot. Don't buy on a busy street. Look at the average cost of homes in that neighborhood and make sure not to pay more than that.

The area has great school but we will be home schooling starting next year. Why no corner lots? 

I'm not the person you quoted....but we owned a corner lot home twice.

First time....we had sidewalks.  Those were a royal pain in the butt because we HAD to shovel at least a 2 foot wide path along the ENTIRE length of the sidewalk (which was both front and side) with 24 hours of any snow/ice storm or risk a high fine.  NOT something I ever wanted to deal with again.  So when we looked for a new home we wanted NO SIDEWALKS!!

Our second corner lot was awesome to have.  I LOVED the extra room it gave us along the side of the house.  And it had zero sidewalks, so there really was no down-side to it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN