Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Puppy trouble PLEASE HELP

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM
  • 8 Replies
1 mom liked this
I have this 3 month old pit bull terrier mix puppy. She can be very friendly and loving and I know she is a puppy and that's part of the reson she is hyper and constantly jumping and biting. I have signed her up for training classes and I have been working hard with her all week with what we learned in last weeks class. But she is still biting and trying to tear things up. I can't even get the kids dressed without her grabbing the clothes and playing tug of war with them. I can be sitting in my chair watching TV and she will grab my foot and bite it. Or if I pet her she will bite me. The trainer told me that when she bites scream ouch and hide my hands for a few seconds and she will get the hint. But now she is moving to my feet. The trainer said if I see her chewing on something she's not suppose to try giving her one of her toys to get her to leave the other item alone. Tried it she will take the toy and put it on the ground next to her and go back to chew on the other item. I have been told I can't disipline her cause it might scare her or cause her to be more aggressive. If you have ever raised a puppy and have any tips that would be awesome thanks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
brandyblx
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 12:54 AM

Might sound mean but some pit bulls are very stubborn and the only way to make them stop doing something is a whooping.Doesn't have to hurt,it's more just to startle them into paying attention,gl.

jenking04
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:01 AM
My cousin told me to get a rolled up news paper and smack her on the nose to get her to listen. My cousin has owned several pit bulls in her life.

Quoting brandyblx:

Might sound mean but some pit bulls are very stubborn and the only way to make them stop doing something is a whooping.Doesn't have to hurt,it's more just to startle them into paying attention,gl.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Get a LOUD NOISE MAKER, like a empty water Bottle.

Everytime she does something , bad MAKE NOISE, at her.

Make sure all family knows THE RULES, bad behavior make noise at her, and say "NO!!!".

DO NOT LET NO ONE BREAK YOUR RULES.

There are so great "DOG GROUPS" on this sight -

TYPE IN DOG GROUPS AT TOP RIGHT.

Lady.Ash.
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:34 AM

When you smack them on their nose it doesn't really hurt them. But it knocks some mucus I guess, I don't remember exactly what it was. Anyway, it knocks it lose & they don't like that, which is why it is usually effective.

Plus like you said OP, she is a puppy. Training will take time. Be firm. Do not ever break the rules or let her think that SHE is in charge.

Good luck! Sounds like you are doing all that you can.

Quoting jenking04:

My cousin told me to get a rolled up news paper and smack her on the nose to get her to listen. My cousin has owned several pit bulls in her life.

Quoting brandyblx:

KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:35 AM

.. That's what puppies do..  They're teething, just like your baby does.. 

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:58 AM

Quoting SissyAnn141:

Get a LOUD NOISE MAKER, like a empty water Bottle.

Every-time she does something , bad MAKE NOISE, at her.

Make sure all family knows THE RULES, bad behavior make noise at her, and say "NO!!!".

DO NOT LET NO ONE BREAK YOUR RULES.

There are some great "DOG GROUPS" on this sight -

TYPE IN DOG GROUPS AT TOP RIGHT.

NEVER HIT DOG IN NOSE, you can Damage them permanently.

ASK YET ????

Uhura
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:04 AM

Hide wahtever body part she's attempting to bite. If she grabs something, remove her from it and place her by herself, away from the temptation. When she doesn't get attention, it should help, it also helps when dogs are jumping up to get attention.

A little smack on the nose isn't going to hurt anyone, unless she's already got severe agression issues. Note that I said little. Never hit, but a little tap on the nose can easily gain their attention back to you as an authority figure. Same with a little tap on the butt. I know one dog who is very aggressive and the easiest way to get his attention broken from whatever he wants to kill and back to you, is to tap him right on the head with a finger. He turns around and is all smiles again because his attention was broken. A little spray bottle with water can also be useful, but she's a young dog and she's going to take a long time to train.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:13 AM

Quoting Uhura:

Hide wahtever body part she's attempting to bite. If she grabs something, remove her from it and place her by herself, away from the temptation. When she doesn't get attention, it should help, it also helps when dogs are jumping up to get attention.

A little smack on the nose isn't going to hurt anyone, unless she's already got severe agression issues. Note that I said little. Never hit, but a little tap on the nose can easily gain their attention back to you as an authority figure. Same with a little tap on the butt. I know one dog who is very aggressive and the easiest way to get his attention broken from whatever he wants to kill and back to you, is to tap him right on the head with a finger. He turns around and is all smiles again because his attention was broken. A little spray bottle with water can also be useful, but she's a young dog and she's going to take a long time to train.

Back to a noise- Make cheaper , empty water bottle.

Squeeze at BAD Behavior.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)