Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just because your 5 year old can read ,doesn't mean he is gifted.

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM
  • 119 Replies
2 moms liked this
I see post about gifted kids and they do nothing out of the ordinary (I'm not talking about a 4 year old who reads novels here lol) I'm talking about a child who does well,reads above his level and gets good grade.A friend of mine told me her 4 year old was tested at her school and now that she goes to dd school I found our she is not gifted at all.( her teacher and I are friends) I know we all want our kids to do best but I think some parents take it to the extreme.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:44 AM
1 mom liked this

i know in NY they K kids take tests and by law a letter goes out to parents saying "your child MAY be gifted" 

parent do NOT read the MAY part and automatically ASSUME their child is gifted.

this was actually said to a parent who decided to sue our distrct because she felt her child was not getting what she needed and and they kept passing her over for the gifted program.

she said her child could read Hairy Potter at the age of 5.  they met with the child, the child read for the most part passages from the book. (no stuttering) then they asked the child, to explain what she just read.

she couldnt.

basically the disctrict told the parents, your child can read, but in order to be qualified as gifted she needed to understand what she read.

it is so ridiculous some of these parents... i deal with one everyday

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:47 AM

both of my kids tested into a gifted learning program, but they both said they don't want to be in it, they want to stay in their home classrooms with the people they know

TaralynnStewart
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM
I thought all kids had to read at least 1st grade level by K.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kaylasmom22
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:50 AM
1 mom liked this
I haven't even though of testing dd,no matter how many teachers have told me she is super smart. I think in every class you are going to have kids that excel more than others. Nothing gifted about that.
kaylasmom22
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM
I haven't even though of testing dd,no matter how many teachers have told me she is super smart. I think in every class you are going to have kids that excel more than others. Nothing gifted about that.
Rain2Rinse
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:51 AM
3 moms liked this
My 6 year old can read, comprehend, and re tell Harry Potter. She's not gifted, just smart. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PerfectVirgo
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM
6 moms liked this
I love all these "gifted" program mamas who spout off about their amazing child in the amazing program but their child is normal. -_____-
kaylasmom22
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:52 AM
I don't think that's true for every state. I know in dd's class some are beginning to read level 1 books. Others are having a hard time even with those

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

kaylasmom22
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM
Anyone who can understand Harry Potter is smart lol

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

My 6 year old can read, comprehend, and re tell Harry Potter. She's not gifted, just smart. :)
Rain2Rinse
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:53 AM
I wish.
There are kids in dds class who went into kinder not knowig how to read it spell their own names, recognize/count up to an acceptable number, tie their shoes.

I was kind of floored, honestly. :(

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN