Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just because your 5 year old can read ,doesn't mean he is gifted.

Posted by   + Show Post
I see post about gifted kids and they do nothing out of the ordinary (I'm not talking about a 4 year old who reads novels here lol) I'm talking about a child who does well,reads above his level and gets good grade.A friend of mine told me her 4 year old was tested at her school and now that she goes to dd school I found our she is not gifted at all.( her teacher and I are friends) I know we all want our kids to do best but I think some parents take it to the extreme.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 6:38 AM
Replies (111-119):
jconney80
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
Being gifted in reading isn't all it's chocked up to be! My daughter was reading at 4 & gifted in reading but has Aspergers. It's great to be a good reader regardless though. Reading is an awesome thing
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kitchen.ninja
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 7:18 PM
First off the teacher should not behave so unprofessionalyl.

Second I agree about parents wanting their kids to be gifted.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nicole1357
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Hmm 

nikki4eva88
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:50 AM

Besides the fact that the child may not be gifted, I find it very disrespectful and unethical for your teacher friend to discuss this child with you.

katelynsmommy30
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 6:57 AM
You hit the nail right snack dab on the head! Couldn't agree with you more!

Quoting lancet98:

This happens a lot.    Many people think their children are gifted when they are not.

There are so many stages a kid has to go through to learn reading, and they often will go faster through this or that stage.

Oddly enough, one of the kids I babysat, went thru one stage (learning the letters) very easily, but for the rest of the stages, such as spelling and reading and composing sentences, was completely unable to learn any of that.

Parents need to remember that reading is made up of a lot of stages, and going through one stage doesn't mean all the stages will be gone through as easily.   The brain can be good at one stage and have a serious problem with the next.   Same with 'gifted' ness.   To be gifted a child has to go thru ALL the stages of learning reading at a very early age.

It's also important to remember that 'gifted' children are RARE.   Most kids are not gifted.  

It's also important to remember that kids with average and 'good' IQ's and reading ability often grow up to be very successful adults.   Success isn't just about when a person meets certain milestones, or meeting them quickly.   Success is often about creativity and inspiration, understanding human nature in a very insightful way, or being able to put together previous discoveries in a creative way that no one else thought of.

Instead of obsessing on 'giftedness', parents really should be obsessing on teaching their children to be observant, get on well with others, and be creative, in addition to basic skills.   

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katfeemom
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:29 AM

In our district, to be considered to be 'gifted' is to have the ability to 'think out side the box'.  Reading a book that has a movie connection, and talking about the book / movie?  That's not even impressive.

lancet98
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:32 AM

To be perfectly honest, I think that the idea of a five year old reading being the sign of being 'gifted' is horrifying.   ALL neurotypical kids should be reading by five.   12 hours after birth, infants can tell the difference between the sounds 'P' and 'B'.   There is NO reason a five year old reading, should be the sign of  'giftedness'.   In fact such statements honestly are, disturbing.

Though I don't believe in 'cramming' stuff ike this into kids with some high pressure program - I think it should be done in a fun way.  Sitting on mom's lap pointing at pictures in a book can be a fun way to 'ease' into reading without a lot of pressure and drilling.

It might help if the letters did not use the word 'gifted'.

Instead, they could say 'your child scored in the top ten per cent of children nationwide who took this test.   Due to his test scores, he may qualify for new programs in the future'.

Of course some people will make the jump and go running around screaming, "MY child is a ten per center!"...LOL.

In fact, most successful careers are based on innovation and creativity, not high IQs.  

The best thing would be, if parents could encourage their children to do well in standard programs(INCLUDING skills like memorization), learning math, science and history and similar subjects, AND encourage creative thinking and problem solving.  Too, no one is going to be successful without health and fitness.   Art, building, team projects, fitness and health and people skills are just as important as scoring well in several subjects on tests.

We do indeed tend to ignore the 'core' subjects today.   There's an old saying, 'The day you think you don't need any more math classes, listen carefully, for you will hear the sound of a door closing'.   that's VERY true.   And we need to teach kids to do more than USE computers and already written programs, we need to teach them to understand them, create them and innovate with them.   I agree that our core subjects are in general, of a very poor quality today.   But a limited concept of education is happening too.

That's the trouble with the 'gifted' concept.  It goes straight from high scores on a few limited school subjects, right to the college level, of teaching engineering students only about engineering, and English students only about English, rather than giving them a more well rounded education.

I think everyone should have a very good understanding of physics, biology, and have math to a calculus level, BEFORE they leave highschool.   But I think we need to strengthen the programs in art, health, music, nutrition and many other subjects too.

mom2the.rescue
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Parents are so competitive when it comes to their children.  It drives me nuts. 

Basherte
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:17 PM

If that were the case, then my son probably would never get to kindergarten. He is non verbal and doesn't read. He's not even potty trained yet. 

He will have an active IEP when he starts K, though.

Quoting Rain2Rinse:

I wish.
There are kids in dds class who went into kinder not knowig how to read it spell their own names, recognize/count up to an acceptable number, tie their shoes.

I was kind of floored, honestly. :(

Quoting TaralynnStewart:

I thought all kids had to read at least 1st grade level by K.

wedding countdown

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)