Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Debate with DH on how often a baby eats *edited*

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
  • 13 Replies

How often does your baby eat (a bottle before solids) ? How many ounces? And how old is your baby?  Thanks

My DH thinks a 4 mo old should eat every 4 hours. Its been my experince that they eat every 2-3 hours. But what do I know, Ive only been doing daycare for 9 years.

Edit: DH and I are not arguing over our babys feeding schedule. I never said that anyways. Our baby is only 5 weeks old. He is just surprised that the 4 mo old we have in the daycare eats every 2 hrs usually. And only 3-4 oz at a time. He read somewhere that they only eat 4-6 times a day.   ( this is his 1st month doing licensed care with me since I expanded my license) I also follow the lead of the baby. Its just it usually ends up being about  2-3 hrs. Its their schedule, not mine.  Im going to have to go for a while, they are starting to wake up! Check back later.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mommyof11050307
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Depends on the child. Mine eats 4pz anywhere between 2 and 4 hours. Sometimes she'll eat more or less. My son by 3 months had 8 oz evey 2 to 3 hours.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erinsmom1964
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:52 PM

I have never followed any schedule with now 4 kids.  I follow the childs lead. Each child has differant needs.  I can't imagine my husband arguing over the care of our baby.

AHmom103
by Alexis on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM

Mine ate roughly every 2 hours at 4 months, but they were EBF at that point. My niece and nephew were both formula fed, and they both usually ate every 3-4 hours at that age.

ETA: my niece and nephew would both take 4-6 ounces of formula at each daytime feeding.

jasminesmom210
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Ds is 3 months he eats 4oz every usually 3 hours sometimes he stretches to 4 and sometimes hes hungry after only 2 but its usually 3 hours.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SpnFulOfSugar
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:53 PM
When they want to, we don't do schedules
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Paperfishies
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I always followed my kiddos lead, we never had set schedules.

mewebb82
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:11 PM

I've been a daycare provider for slightly longer than you. It's been my experience that a 4 month old will eat about every 2-3 hours. Breastfed babies generally eat an ounce per hour, formula fed babies generally eat slightly more (maybe an extra ounce at every feeding) but it does vary from one baby to the next.

My youngest is 3 months now and breastfed. On the occasions that my husband has to give him a bottle of pumped milk because I'm away, little man will generally eat 2-3 ounces every 2-3 hours. 

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:13 PM

I fed on demand. she would eat every 2 to 4 hours depending on what time of day it was (she was breastfed)

Due9
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Whenever they're hungry. It varies with each child and each day with the same child.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 2:33 PM

bump

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)