Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help! Hubby allergic to dog

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
  • 8 Replies
Recently we got a dog, a lab/border collie mix. It is our first dog as grown ups, but DH and I both grew up with dogs. Well, it turns out DH had a dog that was more hypoallergenic because he is just miserable. He does not want to give up the dog, he really believes that once you adopt a pet it is your responsibility, but I want DH to be able to breathe. Since he wants to keep the dog, I am looking for ways to keep the allergens down. Any suggestions?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
jillbailey26
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM

I didn't read all the way through it, but hopefully *this* will help.

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

Gooberzilla
by Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:04 PM
Thank you!
toopicky429
by Platinum Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:06 PM
We vacuum a lot, and I take Zyrtec daily. I love my pets, and couldn't imagine not being able to have them. I hope he gets some allergy relief!
barefootncrazy
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:09 PM
We keep the dogs out of all bedrooms, I vacuum daily and was all pillows and blankets frequently. Also bathe and brush the dog often to keep down the shedding and dander. We also have an allergy filter in our bedroom. Also we just got all hardwood floor instead of carpet and that made a huge difference. He can take an OTC allergy med to help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
PinkButterfly66
by Bronze Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 4:24 PM

Your hubs can get allergy shots.

Gooberzilla
by Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:09 AM

Thanks for all the advice!  I am going to start washing all the bedding twice a week and vacuuming the bedroom daily.  We are going to be buying HEPA filters for the bedroom and living room.  

I read online that washing the dog will significantly reduce dander, but it only lasts about 3 days, so in order to keep the allergens down you have to wash the dog twice a week.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep dog's skin healthy with the washing?

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:58 AM

no carpet. tile, wood or laminate.

no dog in the bedroom, ever. Not even on the floor.

allergy medication or shots work.

Bathing the dog weekly, or bi-weekly. Dander is an issue, even more than fur.

Leather or fake leather furniture will not hold in dog hair, can be washed clean. Don't allow the dog on the furniture.

This will keep a lot of his allergy responses to a minimum. Hepa filters in the house other than the bedroom area can also be a godsend.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM

Bathe the dog with baby wash once a week, just plain ol' warm water once a week. Make sure to rinse thoroughly.  Air dry.

Quoting Gooberzilla:

Thanks for all the advice!  I am going to start washing all the bedding twice a week and vacuuming the bedroom daily.  We are going to be buying HEPA filters for the bedroom and living room.  

I read online that washing the dog will significantly reduce dander, but it only lasts about 3 days, so in order to keep the allergens down you have to wash the dog twice a week.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to keep dog's skin healthy with the washing?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)