Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need potty training advice for almost 4 year old boy ASAP

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
  • 26 Replies

So, my son will be 4 on may 22nd.. I'm getting sick and tired of diapers.. I really want him to be potty trained already. He Dosent notice when he's going potty and he's dosent show interest in the potty nothing. I don't get it he's almost 4. I thought that once they turn 3 they want to go potty but not my son.  I need for him to be potty trained by our head start meeting in April. Do I force him or let him try on his own terms?. So any advice moms?? What age did your son or daughter start to use the potty??

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jconney80
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:50 PM

I would take away all day time diapers. Period and for good. Talk to him about it. You can put him in undies just be prepared for a lot of accidents. It is the only way kids learn how to potty train...by accidents. They have to learn their body and learn to be able to tell when they need to go. Pull Ups do NOT help potty train. They feel exactly like diapers to a kid and they will continue to pee or poop in them. I would keep diapers at nap and night time if he still naps. 

jconney80
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Pick a time you are going to start and stick to it! It works! I've seen kids potty trained in a few days.

Kmakksmom
by Stefanie on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:53 PM
Our kids were fully potty trained by their 4th birthdays. Consistency is key...that and no Pull-ups.

Good luck! :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
brebugmom91
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:56 PM

All of this, but mainly the part in blue, and my dd was potty trained by 3. 

Quoting Kmakksmom:

Our kids were fully potty trained by their 4th birthdays. Consistency is key...that and no Pull-ups.

Good luck! :)

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I think I made that mistake by putting him in pull ups thinking it might help.

AjsMom0508
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:03 PM
The part of kids learning from accidents is not always true. My son had 0 accidents while potty training. Don't force it. Let him train on his own terms. Forcing it can cause resentment and regression. Have you tried any kid oriented potty training books or videos? What about a potty watch?

Quoting jconney80:

I would take away all day time diapers. Period and for good. Talk to him about it. You can put him in undies just be prepared for a lot of accidents. It is the only way kids learn how to potty train...by accidents. They have to learn their body and learn to be able to tell when they need to go. Pull Ups do NOT help potty train. They feel exactly like diapers to a kid and they will continue to pee or poop in them. I would keep diapers at nap and night time if he still naps. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
KristenFowles
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:05 PM
1 mom liked this

The honest, shitty truth?

He'll do it when he's ready.

It wasn't until my son turned 4 that he even KIND of showed interest.. And that was probably because his YOUNGER sister was almost fully potty trained..

He'll do it.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Why are boys so late at this I don't get it..

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:10 PM

This. My son will be four in November and has shown little interest until very recently when I had an older boy who was potty trained here to be babysat for two weeks. He's now slowly training himself. I tried the no undies thing, the undies but no diaper thing, pull-ups, timed intervals to take him to the potty... Everything. He's in the Pampers brand of Pull-Ups right now and only has about one accident a day although he still won't poop in the potty. He just really started training himself two weeks ago.

Quoting KristenFowles:

The honest, shitty truth?

He'll do it when he's ready.

It wasn't until my son turned 4 that he even KIND of showed interest.. And that was probably because his YOUNGER sister was almost fully potty trained..

He'll do it.

strawberryLVR
by Gold Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:11 PM

The best advice we got from out doc was to just stick him in undies, he will pee a lot, and all over but he will figure it out and you of course have to teach him and remind him. But if he's pushing back wait a week or 2 and try again. you really can't force it and if you do he will push back. we had to do this a couple times but then one day we told him "today you are going to be a big boy and go potty" and he just started going potty, even didn't want a pullup that night and we've never looked back! Also a note on pull ups, they think they are diapers and they will pee in them. But,they are good for when you go to the store and they tell you they have ot go potty it's much faster and easier to get them on the potty then using a diaper :) good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)