Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Baby is itching her skin so much its bleeding, and I need input! *PIC*

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM
  • 29 Replies

So it all started last weekend.. After doing some running around Miss Joelle,  (15 months old) who seems to have the same public pooping issue her daddy does, let it all loose, all over her clothes and diaper. Of Course she was happy to get it all out (who wouldn't be after holding it in all day, lol) but the moment I took her clothes off of her to clean her up she started clawing at her arms, so hard welts started popping up. I thought maybe she was just sweaty and itchy, so I gave her a bath, clean clothes and all that and put her to bed.. Next day I get her out of bed and she starts clawing again. After baths and lots of lotion she stops, and yesterday it looked like it looks like its getting better, til she woke up from her nap looking like this

So I called her Dr and we got her in this morning. Her Dr seems to think she has SCABIES!! but after a ton of googling all day I dont think it is..

A) She hasn't been in contact with anyone with scabies, ever, 100% of her day is with me and her 2 older sisters (ages 2 and 3) while oldest sister (age 6) is at school and daddy is at work. None of us have this rash. We rarely go places other than the store (2 year old has infantile scoliosis and is in a cast, so long trips out of the house are just to much for her)

B) Scabies is generally in the hands, feet, girly parts (or manly parts, lol) and butt, in all the cracks between toes and fingers, but hers is just on her arms and a bit on her thighs

C) there is no bug bites, bumps, or blister looking spots on her, just some dry skin and scratches, everything you see on the pic was done by her and those claws..

Sooo, have any of you had scabies lol.. Does this look/sound like what you had? Or does it look like anything you have dealt with before? Dr gave her some cream I have to rub all over her body and leave on for 8 hours, plus some benadryl for the itching, so we are going to try that but I honestly don't believe it will help... Any thoughts?? Oh, and she has no other symptoms, just itching, no fever, cold, nothing.. She is the same happy girl she always is until she get her clothes off, then she scratches like crazy..

Auctions for free stuff at Listia.com

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lilblu399
by Tamika on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:34 AM
My DD had a rash like that it was from soap, she stayed the weekend at grandmas and the soap was lever 2000. I put her in a bath with green tea bags and put hydrocordizone(sp?) on her arms.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM
That looks like the itchy rash my son gets after drinking cow milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AC9808
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:37 AM

This seems like an allergy to a detergent or something!! DO NOT USE THE SCABIE MEDICATION!!! Gosh that medication is awful... Put socks on her hands at night and then sleeves over the socks... My son has severe eczema and food allergies and he used to scratch like this, it could simply be dry skin...Do use the benadryl but give alot of fluids because it is really drying. Chamomile lotion will help with the itching as well... I am not only a mother of children with allergies but I have a degree in Early Childhood Education and some of these things are covered in our learning about kids..PM me if you have any questions at all!!

SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

If it was Scabies, you would have it by now and so would the entire family.......Take her back to the Doctor !!!!!!!

This does not look like "hives", or anything I have ever seen.  ?            

AC9808
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Quoting Kenre:

That looks like the itchy rash my son gets after drinking cow milk.

This also sounds like an allergy, my son was the same way.

Diamondblue1
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:40 AM
Aww i hope she gets better. Try benedrylif they have it for babies i hope you find out what's wrong
romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:50 AM

agreed about the allergies to something external. They can pop up at any time. Do you use bleach? If so, STOP. Wash her clothes in dreft, and nothing else, no softener, nothing. Run rinse cycle twice, and dry without fabric softener. Sheets, blankets too. See what happens.

romanceparty4u
by Ruby Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:51 AM

as far as bathing, try doing that with just plain water for a week too.

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:18 AM

Has the detergent been changed in the household?   You dont know if someone has been exposed to scabies or not since your school age child is around alot of people with undisclosed illnesses possibly.   I was in contact once with someone who had scabies and had to use a special lotion as a precaution.  Do not slather on tons of lotion either since that can inhibit her body's self regulationi as well as clog all the pores on arms.  I would do aloe or vit e treatments for her itchy parts.

GaBrIeLlEsMaMa
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 2:22 AM
We did just start using fabric softener sheets in the dryer. I wonder if that is it. Like I said after a bath, lotion and sleep it looked better til her nap time when she was sweating and itching a ton. she is miserable right now having to sleep in footie pjs to keep her from scratching. my hubby and all 4 of our girls tend to sweat a ton when they sleep so she usually just sleeps in a tshirt.

Quoting romanceparty4u:

agreed about the allergies to something external. They can pop up at any time. Do you use bleach? If so, STOP. Wash her clothes in dreft, and nothing else, no softener, nothing. Run rinse cycle twice, and dry without fabric softener. Sheets, blankets too. See what happens.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)