Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is it time for a new car seat?

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
  • 8 Replies

My daughter is over 4 years old. She is now taking her straps off while in her carseat. I know harnessing is "safer" but I also no taking her straps off cant be safe either. She weighs almost 40 pounds....NO Bashing please. Shes my only child so I am kind of clueless when your suppose to switch to a high back booster? Thanks!

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Not until she is 40 lbs at least. When my kids do things like that, I pull over and make them re buckle. The car doesn't move until they do, and they hate it. I only had to do it twice with ds.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM

If she can take her straps off the harness is not tight enough. I personally wouldn't take her out of a harness, if she can't sit right in a harness she isn't going to sit right in a seatbelt.

Can you post a picture of her in her seat?

lovebugs_mom906
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:05 AM
Chances are are, if she can get the harness off, she will take the seat belt off too. I would find away to fix the problem so that she doesn't do it anymore.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
baby7810
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:06 AM

this exactly

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

If she can take her straps off the harness is not tight enough. I personally wouldn't take her out of a harness, if she can't sit right in a harness she isn't going to sit right in a seatbelt.

Can you post a picture of her in her seat?

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 11:36 AM

BUMP!

MommySwiggles
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 12:08 PM

This is a discipline issue, not a car seat issue.  First, if she is able to take the harness off, it is not tight enough.  You should not be able to pinch any slack once it it properly tightened.  Second, to move to a booster means that she is not only big enough (4 years old and 40 pounds AT LEAST) but also that she is MATURE enough.  And from this post alone I can tell you, she is not.  You need to discipline her and make sure she knows how dangerous it is that she is taking the harness off.

IloveNCIS
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:08 PM

She is old enough to understand why she needs to wear a seatbelt. Time for you to start showing some tough love.

LucyHarper
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 1:10 PM

No, she needs to still be in a harness to be safe. Instead of getting a new seat, teach her not to take the straps off. She's four, shes old enough to learn basic instructions and follow them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN