Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

CRAP!

Posted by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
  • 17 Replies
Anyone know how to get nail polish out of a cotton shirt?! Nail polish remover didn't work. Think the dry cleaner can do it?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
madwifa
by Robin on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:36 PM

NOPE.

I GOT NAIL POLISH ON OUR NEW CARPET AND HAD TO HAVE THAT AREA REPLACED NOTHING TOOK THAT OUT.

I HOPE YOU GET IT

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:37 PM
That sucks!

Quoting madwifa:

NOPE.

I GOT NAIL POLISH ON OUR NEW CARPET AND HAD TO HAVE THAT AREA REPLACED NOTHING TOOK THAT OUT.

I HOPE YOU GET IT

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 4:54 PM
Bump!
reesesami
by Bronze Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 5:14 PM
I got nail polish off of carpet once using paint thinner. I don't know how good that will be for your clothing but it did not harm my carpet.
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Bump!
specialwingz
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Is your nail polish remover non-acetone?  My bet is that it is.  You need to use acetone nail polish remover.  And, it DOES work.  I've done it.  As long as it is 100% cotton...here are the steps.

1. Place the fabric face down on a clean white cloth or paper towels and blot with acetone (Caution: Do not use acetone on fabrics containing acetate or triacetate. It will melt these fibers!).

2. Rinse with clear water.

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until blotting no longer transfers the stain to the cloth or paper towels.

4. Apply a prewash stain remover.

5. Launder.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Yes it is non-acetone. The acetone doesn't discolor the shirt?

Quoting specialwingz:

Is your nail polish remover non-acetone?  My bet is that it is.  You need to use acetone nail polish remover.  And, it DOES work.  I've done it.  As long as it is 100% cotton...here are the steps.

1. Place the fabric face down on a clean white cloth or paper towels and blot with acetone (Caution: Do not use acetone on fabrics containing acetate or triacetate. It will melt these fibers!).

3. Repeat Steps 1 and 2 until blotting no longer transfers the stain to the cloth or paper towels.

5. Launder.

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I used rubbing alcohol to get red nail polish out of an off-white carpet.  It took me a very long time to scrub it out, but eventually it worked.  You can't even tell where it spilled and the spot was huge.  I'm not sure how that would work on a colored shirt, though, as I suppose it could take some of the color out of the fabric. 

specialwingz
by Silver Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:10 PM

That's why it's not working.  If you would like to test it out, take an old white cotton tee shirt and put the polish on it.  Get some acetone polish remover and work with the old tee shirt.  I have done this successfully in the past.  But, again, the shirt shouldn't have any acetate or triacetate in it.  If you aren't pleased with the results on the tee shirt, then don't try it on your good shirt.

Have you called any dry cleaners to see what they can do?

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting specialwingz:

5. Launder.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 7, 2013 at 8:16 PM
It's a blue shirt. I'm scared the color will fade. It's 100% cotton. Haven't called any dry cleaners. Too late now. I might call tomorrow.

Quoting specialwingz:

That's why it's not working.  If you would like to test it out, take an old white cotton tee shirt and put the polish on it.  Get some acetone polish remover and work with the old tee shirt.  I have done this successfully in the past.  But, again, the shirt shouldn't have any acetate or triacetate in it.  If you aren't pleased with the results on the tee shirt, then don't try it on your good shirt.

Have you called any dry cleaners to see what they can do?

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting specialwingz:

5. Launder.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)