Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Advice Needed About School in Michigan-Long-Diabetes Related

Posted by   + Show Post

I am going to try to make my story short.

My son will be 8 (tomorrow). He was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes about 2 months ago. He is handling it very well, and we have all adjusted much better than expected, but at school, there have been many problems. I live in a small town in southeast Michigan, and I just feel that there is no one at the school who is qualified to help him manage his insulin and blood sugars. They don't even have a school nurse (she got let go when they had budget cuts). They have 2 'parapros' who help kids, and they claim to have dealt with diabetic children before, but everything that they do says otherwise. I realize that it is an adjustment for everyone, but it has been 2 months, and they still can't count carbs, do the basic math required for his insulin dosing, treat his high and low sugars, or anything. They rush through everything and even lack the common sense to let him do his school work in the office when he is waiting for his blood sugar to go up when it's low. I have contacted everyone necessary, and talked to his teacher, the school counselor, the school social worker, his doctor, the parapros at school, the office staff, the principal...there is really no one else that I can go to, and nothing changes. We are supposed to test his blood sugar 4 times a day, or a couple extra times if he is feeling like his sugar is low so that we can treat it. They are testing it at school 10-15 times a day (just at school, between 9am and 340pm). I have talked to them about this several times, and they always seem to listen, seem to understand, and we come up with a plan, only for them to go right back to the way things were the next day. I went from calming talking to them, to very angrily and frustrated talking to them, to borderline yelling, to just crying because I am so frustrated and they just don't get it. I seriously feel like a group of monkeys could do better. It's like these people retain nothing. At this point, I just want to pull him out of the school. He is in the office more than he is in his class each day, and most of his school work gets sent home to be completed. I can't switch school districts, because I don't have a car to be able to drive him to another school, so I don't have many options. I asked the principal about just having him finish this year out from home, and possibly coming in to the school to take the required tests and whatnot. She didn't answer me. She kind of danced around it, and then told me that I need to make the decision that I feel is best for him. She said that of course she wants him at school, but it's not her decision. I had an hour long conversation with her about everything that's going on and all of these different options as far as doing his testing in class so that he doesn't miss so much, sending his work to the office, etc. I also talked about how often they test his sugar, saying that it's not necessary, and she agreed...then the next day, they used 10 test strips. It's just like it goes in one ear and out the other. I can't take it anymore. I have talked until I am blue in the face, written everything down so that they can reread anything that they forget, and they still do the same things, over and over.

So, my question is...I am in Michigan. Can I legally pull him out of school and have him do the work at home? Can anyone give me ANY pointers or at least some kind of direction since the principal wouldnt answer me?! I have already enrolled him in online school for next year, so I just need to get through these next 3 months, but I seriously fear for my son's health if he stays in the situation that he is in. (And yes, I have told the school staff and principal this).

Thank You in Advance to anyone that can help.

by on Mar. 7, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
momto3B
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Is there any possibility of getting your son an insulin pump? I don't know his situation but it could dramatically reduce the number of times a day his blood sugar is checkecd manually. Do you prepare his lunch/snack ahead of time so there should be no counting of carbs when he gets to school. Have you asked your son's doctors to  assist you in communicating with the school/school board? 

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:36 AM
The pump just pumps insulin. A meter can be worn that transmits to the pump but it is uncomfortable and still requires multiple traditional tests per day to calibrate it.
It's also American diabetes ASSOCIATION.

Quoting AMBG825:

I'm originally from MI now living in IN but still have quite a bit of family that live there. Quite a few of them are diabetics. Fortunately for you, one of the best hospitals for dealing with diabetic children is not far from you.

My DD is in kindergarten and is type 1 diabetic as well. A few suggestions. Apply for the grants to get either a diabetic dog or a pump, (or both) The pump makes things SOOOOOOO much easier. It does the testing for him and to deliver the insulin, just push a button. My DD is 6 (as of today) and she can operate it easily. Talk to the U of M children's hospital and see if they can get you started on helping you get a low cost pump.

Before my DD had the pump, she had a dog. The dog pretty much does the same thing. They can sense when the insulin levels go too high or low and alert you to test yourself. There are organizations to help you get one at no cost but there is a waiting period. PAWS and Dogs for Diabetics are 2 organizations to look into.

After that the PP had a good suggestion with contacting the American Diabetes foundation.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DieselsMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:40 AM

maybe your son just isn't healthy enough to go to school if he is having THAT many problems?

Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:43 AM
I have a type 1 diabetes student in my class.

Everything we need to do for her was carefully laid out in her 504 plan.

We developed it as a team and it is our "road map" as to when to test, etc...

Does your son have a 504 plan in place?
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:44 AM
It doesn't. Same number of tests. They also will not give a pump to a child who has so little control. 1 or 2 tests at school should be the norm. Hourly testing means something is wrong. A pump keeps pumping until you shut it off, even when low. It will kill a child that is running low and has to be tested hourly.
What are these low readings and why are they happening? You should be able to look at what he is eating and look at the readings. Figure it out! Most schools have a district nurse. Tell her to park her ass at your kids school till staff is properly trained. As you know it isn't rocket science. Hell an average intelligence 3rd grader could master it. The health para will be fine.

Quoting momto3B:

Is there any possibility of getting your son an insulin pump? I don't know his situation but it could dramatically reduce the number of times a day his blood sugar is checkecd manually. Do you prepare his lunch/snack ahead of time so there should be no counting of carbs when he gets to school. Have you asked your son's doctors to  assist you in communicating with the school/school board? 

Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:51 AM
I know our district has hospital/home bound status for children not physically able to attend school...
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 6:55 AM
Don't they send a teacher like a long term sub to teach the kid though? I'm almost sure that's how they do it. I'm not sure they would hire someone based on this info. It seems fixable.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

I know our district has hospital/home bound status for children not physically able to attend school...
Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:07 AM
I did get some preliminary "emergency situation" paperwork, but the 504 plan is where everything was laid out as to what we needed to do, how to keep her safe, when to test, what to do If get numbers were below a certain point, above, when to do an emergency injection, etc... We also have a full time nurse at our school all day, thankfully.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Don't they send a teacher like a long term sub to teach the kid though? I'm almost sure that's how they do it. I'm not sure they would hire someone based on this info. It seems fixable.

Quoting Kris_PBG:

AMBG825
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:09 AM
1 mom liked this

They do have a pump now with an integrated meter. Even with a separate metering system, it will help with morons in the school system. Since the pump is programmed to give regular injections, the metering can be scheduled fewer times per day and possibly only once while in school unless something is out of whack.

and you're right. American Diabetes Association and Juvenile Diabetes Foundation. It's before the ass crack of dawn and the caffeine hasn't kicked in.

Quoting NDADanceMom:

The pump just pumps insulin. A meter can be worn that transmits to the pump but it is uncomfortable and still requires multiple traditional tests per day to calibrate it.
It's also American diabetes ASSOCIATION.

Quoting AMBG825:

I'm originally from MI now living in IN but still have quite a bit of family that live there. Quite a few of them are diabetics. Fortunately for you, one of the best hospitals for dealing with diabetic children is not far from you.

My DD is in kindergarten and is type 1 diabetic as well. A few suggestions. Apply for the grants to get either a diabetic dog or a pump, (or both) The pump makes things SOOOOOOO much easier. It does the testing for him and to deliver the insulin, just push a button. My DD is 6 (as of today) and she can operate it easily. Talk to the U of M children's hospital and see if they can get you started on helping you get a low cost pump.

Before my DD had the pump, she had a dog. The dog pretty much does the same thing. They can sense when the insulin levels go too high or low and alert you to test yourself. There are organizations to help you get one at no cost but there is a waiting period. PAWS and Dogs for Diabetics are 2 organizations to look into.

After that the PP had a good suggestion with contacting the American Diabetes foundation.

Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:11 AM
The teachers I have known who do hospital/homebound are regular teacher who has agreed to tutor one in one for a few hours a week after school. It is not 30 hours of instruction at home per week. The kids do some work independently and would not typically even be able to complete a full day at school due to their condition. Between cutting out lunch and specials, the child working independently and some teacher tutor time, the student still has time to deal with their medical issues, rest, etc...

Quoting NDADanceMom:

Quoting Kris_PBG:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)