Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

3 Hour Glucose Test

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
  • 11 Replies

I have to take the 3 hour glucose test tomorrow (No appt. it's by walk in), and I can't remember what the time frame to fast was..

My questions to you ladies, do you remember how long you're supposed to go without eating (I believe my doc said 12 hours) and also am I allowed to at least drink water?

I tried to call my docs office today but they never answered the phone.

Thanks in advance

- Monique - Mommy To Lexus - Wifey To Asa -

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jogre
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:11 AM

Nothing after midnight or 12 hr before the exam. You can drink water but only that, nothing else

jobberwocky
by Chrissy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM
I had to fast for 12 hrs prior but I was allowed to have water.

Good luck on your test. Being something to eat for right after your test. I didn't and almost passed out by the time I got something to eat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tansyflower
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:58 AM

i refused that test because it is inaccurate.

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:27 PM
inspain
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 1:51 PM

12 hours, no food.  My doc said no water for a couple hours before.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:00 PM

12hrs sips of water only even water should be very little.

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:04 PM

Sorry but this is NOT true.  It saves millions of unborn fetuses and their moms annually. 

Quoting tansyflower:

tansyflower
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:45 PM

well thats funny, because my midwife was the one who told me this.  she is also the one who gave me a meter and made me test my blood glucose 4 times a day for two weeks, keep a food journel during that time period and then made sure i got an A1C test.  after all that she THEN was able to ACCURATELY tell me EXACTLY what my blood sugar issues were and how to control them safely.

so go on and rely on one half ass test (that half the population would fail pregnant or not) and i will rely on a very specific overall protocol to assess how my body is reacting to my food intake and know what my blood sugar counts over a long period of time actually are.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Sorry but this is NOT true.  It saves millions of unborn fetuses and their moms annually. 

Quoting tansyflower:

fullxbusymom
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:59 PM

I didn't rely on ONE test.  I relyed on 2 tests that then prompted for further testing required me testing my blood sugars 4x's daily.  There is NO need to have everyone purchase blood glucose machines and strips to the tune of hundreds of dollars for the strips alone before insurance when a glucose test will do the same thing. That test definitely determined I had GD with my last and definitely saved him and myself. 

I dislike midwives this is why I opt for OB's it is what works better for me.  I am definitely more with their mindset and practices over a midwife.  This I can bet is why our experiences and opinions differ.

Quoting tansyflower:

well thats funny, because my midwife was the one who told me this.  she is also the one who gave me a meter and made me test my blood glucose 4 times a day for two weeks, keep a food journel during that time period and then made sure i got an A1C test.  after all that she THEN was able to ACCURATELY tell me EXACTLY what my blood sugar issues were and how to control them safely.

so go on and rely on one half ass test (that half the population would fail pregnant or not) and i will rely on a very specific overall protocol to assess how my body is reacting to my food intake and know what my blood sugar counts over a long period of time actually are.

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting tansyflower:

tansyflower
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Quoting fullxbusymom:

I didn't rely on ONE test.  I relyed on 2 tests that then prompted for further testing required me testing my blood sugars 4x's daily.  lol, you could have just skipped the stupid test and tested 4 times a day to begin with!  There is NO need to have everyone purchase blood glucose machines and strips to the tune of hundreds of dollars for the strips alone before insurance when a glucose test will do the same thing. but it doesnt do the same thing because it doesnt give you an overall view of how your body is reacting to your diet.  my midwife gave me both the meter and strips at no cost because the cost is really pretty insignificant...i spent around 30 bucks in strips.  hundreds?  um yeah not for a 2 week assesment.  thats one of the nice things about midwives, they dont jack up the costs on you like an ob does just because they can. That test definitely determined I had GD with my last and definitely saved him and myself. 

I dislike midwives this is why I opt for OB's it is what works better for me.  i am the opposite.  why would i go to a surgeon who is looking for any excuse to try to force unnecessary medical interventions?  i prefer the care of a midwife because her pocketbook doesnt limit my treatment options.  I am definitely more with their mindset and practices over a midwife.  This I can bet is why our experiences and opinions differ.  i am sure they did.  my midwife would never send me in to take an inaccurate test instead of first using more accurate daily testing and food journals to assess me.  i will never understand why woman think that standard of care is acceptable.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting fullxbusymom:

Quoting tansyflower:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)