Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

At what age can I switch my son to a booster?

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
  • 30 Replies
My son is 5.5 yrs old and about 45 lbs. He's currently in a 5-point harness (Graco Nautilus).

I'm just curious when he can go to the highback booster or regular booster?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bowribbonmama
by Bronze Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:20 PM
My son was switched at the age of 6.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
Legally? Now. Whether or not he needs to is based on his seat restrictions and your judgement as his mother.
pookie4907
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Thank you. My judgement is telling to keep him in the 5point a little longer, but he's starting to complain that the buckle between the legs is starting to get uncomfortable, and it's already in the last position so I can't adjust it anymore.

Quoting dommad2:

Legally? Now. Whether or not he needs to is based on his seat restrictions and your judgement as his mother.

dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 8, 2013 at 2:26 PM
If you feel it's best to keep him in a booster then maybe what would be best is to upgrade to a larger seat that has a 5point harness. Go with your gut mama!!

Quoting pookie4907:

Thank you. My judgement is telling to keep him in the 5point a little longer, but he's starting to complain that the buckle between the legs is starting to get uncomfortable, and it's already in the last position so I can't adjust it anymore.

Quoting dommad2:

frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:27 PM

Go with your instinct as for the buckle hurting his legs , I think putting a washcloth there as a bufffer will not hurt the integrity of the seat.

alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:28 PM

Can the it be moved out anymore?

pookie4907
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:51 PM
No.

Quoting alexsmomaubrys2:

Can the it be moved out anymore?

Seans_mommy123
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:12 PM

i just moved DS (6) from his 5 point harness to a booster. It's sooner than I wanted but he hit the weight limit on his seat (65 pounds).

Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 5:22 PM
4 moms liked this

It's perfectly legal now.  I realize that when you switch car seats, there is an increase in risk should you have a car accident, but riding in a car will always be risky.  It is, after all, the riskiest thing we do every day statistically speaking.  As parents we need to determine where the cost/benefit match up.  Personally, I can imagine a 5 point harness being pretty uncomfortable for a 6 year old.  It may be time to make the switch.  5 point harnesses are one way to decrease injury/death in a car, but they're not the ONLY way.  )things like not speeding, not using a cell phone, being alert, etc are just as important).   Just some food for thought.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:08 PM
Well said

Quoting Kmary:

It's perfectly legal now.  I realize that when you switch car seats, there is an increase in risk should you have a car accident, but riding in a car will always be risky.  It is, after all, the riskiest thing we do every day statistically speaking.  As parents we need to determine where the cost/benefit match up.  Personally, I can imagine a 5 point harness being pretty uncomfortable for a 6 year old.  It may be time to make the switch.  5 point harnesses are one way to decrease injury/death in a car, but they're not the ONLY way.  )things like not speeding, not using a cell phone, being alert, etc are just as important).   Just some food for thought.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)