Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Normal People Suck PIOG

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM
  • 0 Replies

This is what our keynote speaker Jonathan Mooney told us today at the Statewide Conference in Kansas for kids with disabilities. The man himself has ADHD and Dyslexia. He is amazing! He told about how he grew up being 'one of those kids', one of those kids who could not sit still, could not read well, could not maintain a friendship. He dropped out in 6th grade with a suicide plan. He thought himself stupid because that is what school taught him. Lucky for us he did not carry out his suicide. He succeeded in life. He went back to school, and graduated. Then graduated from Brown University with a masters in English Lit. Amazing for a man who still does not read well. He told us 'disabled does not mean deficient.' He said that just because a child can't do it, does not mean they don't know it. And that schools need to wake up and realize that our kids are the future of this world. He was not talking about just Autism. He was talking all disablilities. He was talking about everyone. And he said Normal People Suck. He said if normal meant you lived in a glass house and judged anyone different, he did not want to be normal. My son has said the same thing and he's 11.  I strongly encourage you to Google Jonathan Mooney, he has two books he wrote. I bought one of them. He has a facebook page also. He's amazing. Thought i would share!

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies:
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN