Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kids older than two....What age to drink from glass glasses?

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
  • 24 Replies
I never allowed my kids to drink from glass glasses until they were way older. My son is 18, still will drink from a plastic one, sometimes he will use glass. My SS, NEVER. He is very accident prone so he knows to use plastic (tupperware). At what age do you let/think a kid can or should use glass for drinking? What age did you let your kids?
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyJill87
by Bronze Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:17 PM
We have lots of mason jar glasses that they are free to use. I've never really had fancy glass glasses.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ambermario4ever
by Gold Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Mine are four and six so not yet 

catrig
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:27 PM
DACIA79
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:31 PM
Mine are 8 and 9 they still use plastic.
CatFishMom
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:46 PM
1 mom liked this

Wow. My kids are four and twenty months and they can drink from glass as long as theyre at the table. Typically we dont-theyre kept in a separate cabinet and therefore not reached for as often, but I dont have a problem giving them glass with their meals. It's a cup-if it gets broken, the world isnt going to end and as long as theyre sitting, I make them stay in their chairs until it's cleaned up but I dont even know the last time that was an issue.

inspain
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:53 PM

DD1, who'll turn 11 this week, uses one of my good red wine glasses sometimes, but mostly she sticks to plastic cups.  

She's been using glass for several years now.  She just prefers the plastic cups, preferably with tops so, if they do fall over, they don't spill on her laptop.

christina0607
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:57 PM

My kids are 7,8 and 12. They have all on occasion used a glass. They often use mugs. We very rarely use plastic in this house. 

xtwistedxlovex
by Gold Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:31 AM

DS started out on an espresso cup when he was 11m old. He never broke those, or any glasses. He usually gets a full-sized coffee mug because the weight and shape make them less likely to tip over.

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:51 AM

I was just thinking its time to get rid of all the plastic cups because they are ugly.  We have crystal glassware and it does get broken.  Oh well.  Its easily replaced.  My youngest is 10

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:57 AM

In Montessori we believe that the breakable nature of glass makes it self teaching or self correcting and our children begin to use glass once they move from the toddler class to the Primary, sometime between the age of two and three. As such my son learned to be quite careful and he rarely broke anything and he always preferred glass drinking vessels, as he does still now as an adult. In our house the usual "breaker" is my husband and not my son...lol...he didn't have the advantage of a Montessori education!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)