Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kids older than two....What age to drink from glass glasses?

Posted by   + Show Post
I never allowed my kids to drink from glass glasses until they were way older. My son is 18, still will drink from a plastic one, sometimes he will use glass. My SS, NEVER. He is very accident prone so he knows to use plastic (tupperware). At what age do you let/think a kid can or should use glass for drinking? What age did you let your kids?
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

i started my kids on regular cups, they only had sippies at other people's houses(mil, etc.)

they had a small 4 oz cup, i would put a sip at a time in it and they learned to drink from those at a bout 6-9 mos

yeah there's a lot of spilling and slopping at first but i totally skipped the sippies

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

i just realized you mean "Glass" as in material, not sippies, duh, LOL

i let mine use small juice glasses when they were about 1-2 years old but they had to be sitting down at the kitchen table or their high chair

we used the little jelly jars

pinkfairy0206
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I don't feel comfortable with any of my kids right now at the ages they r using glass cups. My oldest is 10 and she has a special mug that she uses. At dinner they all use a water bottle or sippy cup or some kind of cup with lid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My kids started drinking from glass glasses at around 1-ish years-give or take. The majority of the time they have their plastic ones just because they prefer pctures but if they're all dirty or feel like a glass one they drink out of them just fine (they're 4.5 and almost 3 now).

SerenityBerry
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My oldest is almost 8, she drinks from glassware once in a while, she also has a ceramic mug that we let her use for hot chocolate and such.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't think some things are age specific.  And this is one of them.

Brittanyk3
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
mine are 5, 4, and 2 so the only time they drink out of a glass is if they take a drink out of my cup or my DH's cup.
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Even as adults....we use plastic. When glass breaks it is so hard to ensure you get it all picked up. We just don't see a need for glass
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I don't know.  No particular age I suppose.  My 5 year old has used a glass, but it's not something we make a habit of.  Obviously, they can break, but it's also a great teaching tool.  And anyone at any age can (and does!) break glasses.  Like anything, it just depends on your particular kid.  Plus, I have this weird idea that things taste better in glass than plastic.  Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I can always "taste" the plastic.

tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Same here

Quoting Ktina11:

Even as adults....we use plastic. When glass breaks it is so hard to ensure you get it all picked up. We just don't see a need for glass
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)