Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Kids older than two....What age to drink from glass glasses?

Posted by   + Show Post
I never allowed my kids to drink from glass glasses until they were way older. My son is 18, still will drink from a plastic one, sometimes he will use glass. My SS, NEVER. He is very accident prone so he knows to use plastic (tupperware). At what age do you let/think a kid can or should use glass for drinking? What age did you let your kids?
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Replies (11-20):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:02 AM

i started my kids on regular cups, they only had sippies at other people's houses(mil, etc.)

they had a small 4 oz cup, i would put a sip at a time in it and they learned to drink from those at a bout 6-9 mos

yeah there's a lot of spilling and slopping at first but i totally skipped the sippies

ninipanini
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:03 AM

i just realized you mean "Glass" as in material, not sippies, duh, LOL

i let mine use small juice glasses when they were about 1-2 years old but they had to be sitting down at the kitchen table or their high chair

we used the little jelly jars

pinkfairy0206
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM
I don't feel comfortable with any of my kids right now at the ages they r using glass cups. My oldest is 10 and she has a special mug that she uses. At dinner they all use a water bottle or sippy cup or some kind of cup with lid.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GodsAmiga
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:06 AM

My kids started drinking from glass glasses at around 1-ish years-give or take. The majority of the time they have their plastic ones just because they prefer pctures but if they're all dirty or feel like a glass one they drink out of them just fine (they're 4.5 and almost 3 now).

SerenityBerry
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My oldest is almost 8, she drinks from glassware once in a while, she also has a ceramic mug that we let her use for hot chocolate and such.

PestPatti
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:51 AM

I don't think some things are age specific.  And this is one of them.

Brittanyk3
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:53 AM
mine are 5, 4, and 2 so the only time they drink out of a glass is if they take a drink out of my cup or my DH's cup.
Ktina11
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:54 AM
Even as adults....we use plastic. When glass breaks it is so hard to ensure you get it all picked up. We just don't see a need for glass
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kmary
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:55 AM

I don't know.  No particular age I suppose.  My 5 year old has used a glass, but it's not something we make a habit of.  Obviously, they can break, but it's also a great teaching tool.  And anyone at any age can (and does!) break glasses.  Like anything, it just depends on your particular kid.  Plus, I have this weird idea that things taste better in glass than plastic.  Maybe I'm a weirdo, but I can always "taste" the plastic.

tddncw2010
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Same here

Quoting Ktina11:

Even as adults....we use plastic. When glass breaks it is so hard to ensure you get it all picked up. We just don't see a need for glass
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)