Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Discipline techniques..

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
  • 16 Replies

What discipline techniques did you use for your children? How old r they? What do u think about Tabasco and dish washing soap as a form of discipline?

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it is abuse to use those techniques. I had a sitter use the tabasco sauce in the mouth. It didn't "teach" me anything but to be afraid of her.

We used positive reinforcement and redirection when they were toddlers, now we use grounding and extra chores.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

connorsmom2009
by Silver Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Bump so I guess no one disciplines their children here on cafemom

adrianasmommy07
by Kristin on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:18 PM
I have used lemon juice. Dd dislikes sour food so it works for us. I tell her to remember that lying is nasty too and should be just as sour on her tounge as the lemon juice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:31 PM
1 mom liked this

I think those 2 options are horrible and would not fit every crime.     We take away privileges which may seem like it does not affect her to the outside watching but it teaches her the lesson .    Using hot sauce or dish soap seems to me more like the parent wanting to be satisfied that the child is hurt in punishment.  DD is 7.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:34 PM
2 moms liked this

I don't need to discipline. I explain to my daughter what is expected of her and why. She complies. There are no real issues with that. Occasionally she has her moments (than again, don't we all?) But we communicate, talk things through.

If for some reason she gets sassy, I typically find its because she feels like she is not being heard or valued or that her opinion is not being respected.

In our home we practice respect for ALL members of our family, no matter the age.

LoveTragedyFun
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

I would never use physical punishment. Or any type of punishment that is embarrassing (holding a sign at an intersection or posting it on facebook for example). Or using items for anything than their intended use, so no hot sauce, vinegar, etc.

inspain
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Tabasco and dish soap are mean and stupid.  There's no call for either one.  There are far better ways to discipline.  Would you correct behavior in an adult with either of those methods?  I think not.  At least, not if you didn't want to deal with the cops.  Then why is it acceptable to do to a child?

DD1 will be 11 in a few days.  We did time-outs until she was about 5, then they just weren't needed anymore.  After that we'd take away computer or Nintendo DS time.  We talk things out a lot.  If she's really angry, I ask her to go cool down first and then we talk.  She's really a good kid and doesn't need more discipline than that.

DD2 is 4 months old.  I figure things have gone so well with DD1, we'll just keep on down that road.  I know every kid is different and, if DD2 needs more or different discipline, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, knowing that hitting and bullying are still not acceptable options.  

inspain
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:25 PM

My thoughts exactly.  

Quoting frndlyfn:

I think those 2 options are horrible and would not fit every crime.     We take away privileges which may seem like it does not affect her to the outside watching but it teaches her the lesson .    Using hot sauce or dish soap seems to me more like the parent wanting to be satisfied that the child is hurt in punishment.  DD is 7.

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:07 AM

I agree, my son who is now twenty-two, rarely needed to be disciplined. Although he sometimes tested boundaries, especially in adolescence, usually the natural consequences sufficed to teach him why a certain behavior was inappropriate. 

Quoting LoveTragedyFun:

I don't need to discipline. I explain to my daughter what is expected of her and why. She complies. There are no real issues with that. Occasionally she has her moments (than again, don't we all?) But we communicate, talk things through.

If for some reason she gets sassy, I typically find its because she feels like she is not being heard or valued or that her opinion is not being respected.

In our home we practice respect for ALL members of our family, no matter the age.

Numom61507
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:56 PM

When I was little, my babysitter used to squirt Dawn in our mouths and make us swish with water. She would be arrested and charged if she did that nowadays. 

For my daughter, I used to spank. I haven't had to in a long time. Now that she has her precious ipod, I take that away or she loses computer priveleges. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN