Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How to handle a 15 month old on a plane?

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 12 Replies
Tomorrow morning my lil family of 3 will be going on a plane for the first time. My 15 month old dd hates sitting still for too long. First off, what's to be expected on a plane for toddlers? And how will I keep her entertained and not fussy?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:26 PM
Take a car seat! We strap our kids in and bring them fun stuff. DVD player? Lollipops for the way up and way down.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Oh geez I can just see us hauling our behemoth car seat haha good idea tho.

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Take a car seat! We strap our kids in and bring them fun stuff. DVD player? Lollipops for the way up and way down.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:41 PM
How long is the flight? Hauling a carseat, although a pain in the ass, totally worth it.

Quoting WillVon:

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WillVon
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:49 PM
It's from Savannah, Georgia to St. Louis, Missouri. Idk how long a flight that is but driving it is about 12 or so hours

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

How long is the flight? Hauling a carseat, although a pain in the ass, totally worth it.

Quoting WillVon:

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TableforSeven
by Judy on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Unless you have already purchased a seat for your child....too late to take a car seat on board....though that would have been the best choice for safety, sanity, etc.

Ask the flight crew for a pillow/blanket set....they don't hand them out to every one on short flights, but they always have some on board...ask as soon as your board.  That way you can wrap your child in it....the blanket is great for peek-a-boo and making a tent as well.  

bring SOFT toys that don't have many pieces.  And PLENTY of snacks.  Once you are through security, you can buy bottles drinks to take on the plane....bring a sippy cup.  Make sure your child has something to eat and drink during take-off and landing that will he with popping ears.

if the flight is long enough...you can walk the aisles a bit - just make sure your child keeps her hands to herself.  Also, if there is turbulence, you won't be allowed to get up....so don't count on being able to wander the plane.

Mel0dy
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:08 PM

Lots of toys and snacks and maybe a glass of wine for mama lol jk about the wine heheh. Books are always great and some planes have little TVs on the back of the seats so you may need some headphones 

chickensmommy
by Silver Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Benedryl... Ask your dr for dosing.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

How long is the flight?  I do not have any experience, but I give my mom a lot of credit for taking my brothers and I on several plane rides alone.  I would take a bag of snacks, dvd player (if you have one), tylenol for ear pain, books, snuggle blanket/animal, maybe some granola bars or something for patient passengers around you asa a way of saying sorry/thank you.  I have seen some wonderful kids on planes and I have seen some hyper ones.  Good Luck!!

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:12 PM

This too.

Quoting chickensmommy:

Benedryl... Ask your dr for dosing.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:17 PM

My guess is about 2-3 hours.  If you are on the window seat see if she has any interest in looking at the Earth below.  Point out things.  It may keep her distracted for a bit.

Quoting WillVon:

It's from Savannah, Georgia to St. Louis, Missouri. Idk how long a flight that is but driving it is about 12 or so hours

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Quoting WillVon:

Quoting AjCeCeMom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)