Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Calling all CAT lovers!

Posted by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM
  • 32 Replies

Gonna try to keep this short and understandable... :)

Okay so when in 2006, I adopted a 5 week old kitten. Once he was old enough, I took him straight to get fixed. He was such a happy kitty and so friendly. Fast forward to 2007. I became pregnant and moved in with my boyfriend (now husband.) His mom hates cats so she said Shadow could live in the basement, not on our floor. I was only 17 and didn't want to get rid of Shadow so I agreed. I would sit with him for a few hours in the basement everyday. In 2008 when I had my baby girl, things got hectic and unfortunately, I couldn't spend as much time with Shadow. Every now and then, I'd bring Leilah to the basement so she and Shadow could get to know each other. He still seemed okay. Still friendly. But as the years went on, I noticed he didn't really like people anymore. Now, if it's a good day, he'll let you pet him but when he's had enough he'll start swinging or trying to bite and then run away. At first I thought he was just trying to play but you see the hairs stand up or he'll growl and hiss. When you walk buy him to go outside, he'll swing at your legs or try to bite. He spends most of his time outside now and has for the last few years. He's made a lot of kitty friends though which I think is nice. Now, we finally saved up enough to move out and be comfortable. My husband has a great job and we're basically set. But, I'm worried. I want to take Shadow but he's just so mean now. I'm scared he'll attack the kids when I'm not around. I'm scared he'll scratch up all our furniture. The carpet on the stairs had to be replaced with linoleum (sp?) because he tore it up. The molding on the doors is all torn up. He ruined a lot of stuff. I tried getting him toys but he wanted nothing to do with them. Is it possible to train an outdoor cat to be an indoor cat again? Any tips or ideas? At this point it's either take him and let him ruin everything and possibly hurt one of us or bring him to the no kill shelter. Sadly, I have to lean towards the shelter. I would feel horrible if he hurt one of my girls.

I know this is all over the place and I apologize. I'm not that great with typing things out.

by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
angel122010
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:38 PM

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not but I got a kitten from a shelter a few years ago to be an inside cat. She was ok at first but then started biting and scratching. We finally decided to put her outside and not let her in the house anymore and she got way better! she's friendly again. I think cats can feel bored and depressed sometimes when they're inside especially when they aren't around people as often as they maybe need to be. Is she nicer now that she's outside? If so maybe keep her outside the majority of the time.

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:40 PM

No, he hasn't gotten any nicer. :( I just want my old lovable kitty back. He comes home only because it's cold at night. During the warmer weather, we'll go days without seeing him.

Quoting angel122010:

I'm not sure if this will be helpful or not but I got a kitten from a shelter a few years ago to be an inside cat. She was ok at first but then started biting and scratching. We finally decided to put her outside and not let her in the house anymore and she got way better! she's friendly again. I think cats can feel bored and depressed sometimes when they're inside especially when they aren't around people as often as they maybe need to be. Is she nicer now that she's outside? If so maybe keep her outside the majority of the time.

angel122010
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:43 PM

hmmmm....maybe its the situation he's in? I would maybe take him with you to the new place and see if that helps any? Sorry i'm not more help. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

No, he hasn't gotten any nicer. :( I just want my old lovable kitty back. He comes home only because it's cold at night. During the warmer weather, we'll go days without seeing him.

Quoting angel122010:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:46 PM

What if he gets more upset because he doesn't have his kitty friends anymore? Ugh! This makes me so sad.

Quoting angel122010:

hmmmm....maybe its the situation he's in? I would maybe take him with you to the new place and see if that helps any? Sorry i'm not more help. 

Quoting shaunaleigh418:

Quoting angel122010:

shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:07 PM

Bump!

MissTacoBell
by Taco Bell Princess on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:33 PM
Take the cat to a shelter if you feel the need, but s/he is ferrel now. It's not going to hurt him/her to be left. Sounds harsh but hes fixed so he won't contribute to a new litter and he's obviously capable of holding his own out in the world w/o your care.

We had two cats after we moved out of our first apartment and had to stay with my parents who also loathe cats. We had a 1 year old who was indoor and a 5 year old rescue we took in when his owners left him at our old complex.

The 1 year old turned ferrel despite my best efforts but the 5 year old knew the drill, but also knew where the food and shelter was coming from. It was when we moved into an indoor only situation that he destroyed a couch but he adjusted. The 1 year old took off and was never seen again after he bit me one night.

Consider this: he is fighting with other ferrel cats. Rabies and tetanus is a major concern. If he bites your child it could kill them. Sorry, cats aren't worth it.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a no kill shelter. Just a "we wait longer to kill" shelter.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kss12
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:42 PM
If it was me I'd take him with me but keep him as an outdoor cat. If he runs away he doesn't like it there, if he stays around your new home then you know he is happy. Sometimes cats need to be free and be able to explore but still want that human contact and love. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:44 PM

You're right.... I just can't see myself leaving him out on the streets. I want him to have a warm place to sleep at night.

Quoting MissTacoBell:

Take the cat to a shelter if you feel the need, but s/he is ferrel now. It's not going to hurt him/her to be left. Sounds harsh but hes fixed so he won't contribute to a new litter and he's obviously capable of holding his own out in the world w/o your care.

We had two cats after we moved out of our first apartment and had to stay with my parents who also loathe cats. We had a 1 year old who was indoor and a 5 year old rescue we took in when his owners left him at our old complex.

The 1 year old turned ferrel despite my best efforts but the 5 year old knew the drill, but also knew where the food and shelter was coming from. It was when we moved into an indoor only situation that he destroyed a couch but he adjusted. The 1 year old took off and was never seen again after he bit me one night.

Consider this: he is fighting with other ferrel cats. Rabies and tetanus is a major concern. If he bites your child it could kill them. Sorry, cats aren't worth it.

And for the record, there's no such thing as a no kill shelter. Just a "we wait longer to kill" shelter.

crwspringer
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I agree with a pp that your kitty has become dehumanized and is considered ferrel. Do you know anyone with a farm. He might be better off as a barn cat.

You can try to take him with you and start by keeping him in a room, go in there every hour give him treats, things to climb on and play with. If things go well give him opportunities to roam the house and get accustomed to other humans. It may not happen, but it is a shot.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shaunaleigh418
by Platinum Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:46 PM

That's what I was thinking but when he comes in the house, I don't want him to attack any of us if he's in a bad mood or scratch up all of our stuff.

Quoting kss12:

If it was me I'd take him with me but keep him as an outdoor cat. If he runs away he doesn't like it there, if he stays around your new home then you know he is happy. Sometimes cats need to be free and be able to explore but still want that human contact and love. Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN