Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sleepless In West Virginia! :/

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM
  • 4 Replies

This is going to be a little long, so I will apologize in advance.

My son is 18 months old and lately, bedtime has been a total nightmare. Since shortly after he turned a year old, we have been fighting him, tooth and nail, to get him to go to bed. I have had him on a routine since he was about 8 months old and up until he was 13 months old, it worked like a charm. Nothing works, anymore, and hasn't for months (5+).

After a few nights of him screaming his head off at bedtime, I thought that maybe he was afraid of the dark. To help ease that discomfort, we bought him a night light. I let him help pick it out (Cars or Bob-Bob) and he was thrilled. For a night or two, it worked. Then, we were right back to where we started: a screaming baby who refused to go to sleep. I went through many thoughts, over the course of the next few months: sleep regression, over-stimulated, growth spurts, not being stimulated enough throughout the day, tummy aches, gas, too hot, too cold, too much noise, not enough noise....I tried EVERYTHING I could possibly think of and nothing helped. He was laying down at 8:30, each night and it would be midnight or later before he was sleeping peacefully. Eventually, it got a little better and I was able to get some kind of sleep at night.

For the past month or so, his issues have gotten much worse. Now, there is simply no comforting him through this. Routine doesn't work, nothing we tried in the past works...he just screams. Instead of the midnight break in his screaming and fussing, it is now 3-4 in the morning. He tries EVERYTHING to keep from going to bed: sticking his hands down his throat until he pukes, taking his diaper off and peeing everywhere, throwing his sippy cup (water, only) across the room, ripping his sheets off the bed. It is just an all around NIGHTMARE.

His pediatrician seems to think that it is just for attention (and that there could be some separation anxiety involved) and says just to let him CIO --- he says not to give in, no matter what. I can assure him that it doesn't work. In seeking a second (and third) opinion, we found that this is just a test to see how far he can push me before I feel like the world's worst mom and give in to him. I can't just let him sit there and puke!!! :( Has anyone else faced night time horrors to this degree?! Any suggestions? I have had no more than 3 hours of sleep a night for 6 months and this is killing me. He is exhausted, I am exhausted and something has just got to give, soon! HELP!!!!

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
starlight91
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:53 AM

sorry things are bad right now, just know you will get through this and things will get better.

candycrush
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Hugs. My son has always had going to sleep issues.  He's 13 now and still occasionally doesn't want to go to sleep.

I wish I could be more helpful but we just always stuck to our guns, continued with the routine and it seemed to pass every time. 

Cafe Robin
by Group Owner on Mar. 11, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this

Maybe he's just not tired and then starts to hate the idea of being forced to sleep...?  My kids changed their napping habits when they turned 1.  They went from taking 2 naps to one.  Then, at 2, they stopped napping altogether.  Some of my friends kids still napped but if my kids napped during the day, they wouldn't go to sleep at night.  Maybe try to keep him up until you're ready for bed and then lay down with him.  The crying, throwing up and peeing all over would drive me nuts, too - maybe best to just comfort him and not let him get so upset or force him to sleep when he's not tired.

I suggest also posting this on the Babies group...

momstermom85
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:09 PM

im sorry hope things get better

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)