Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Its a conspiracy!!!!!

Posted by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 16 Replies

Okay its not really a conspiracy but its annoying.  I have 2 high school freshman. They go to different schools.  The schools  have scheduled their parent teacher conference on the same night at the same time.  They used to do two, one in the afternoon and one in the evening.  I could work with that.  But now this marking period  its only at night from 6-9.  Next marking period its only in the afternoon.  It is not possible for me to be at both at the same time.  The schools are no where near one another and getting from one to the other will take at least an hour. (if I'm lucky) its at a minimum of 2 trains.   My dd wants me to go to hers alot and my son well he's not that excited for me to go which means I should see his.   Truth is my dd's grades will be either perfect or close to it and I'll wait 10 plus minutes per teacher to get a 30 second conference of them telling me how great a student my daughter is.   But she wants me to be there and i feel horrilbe that I might not be able to.

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
starlight91
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:15 AM

see if your sons teacher will do a phone conference instead of in person, you could do it on the way to your daughters or on the teachers lunch break.

mjande4
by Silver Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Why doesn't one parent go to one and the other parent to one?  My husband and I have to "divide and conquer" frequently.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:19 AM

Quoting starlight91:

see if your sons teacher will do a phone conference instead of in person, you could do it on the way to your daughters or on the teachers lunch break.

Except that he has 8 different teachers.   To get a message to his teachers I have to call and leave one on a voicemail.  I have yet to get a call back from the several I've called.  T hey don't even have email addresses that they give to parents.    His school tends to be a bit backwards.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Quoting mjande4:

Why doesn't one parent go to one and the other parent to one?  My husband and I have to "divide and conquer" frequently.

He has to work friday and we need the Money.  He doesnt see the point in loosing Money when there is  no problems with my dd or her grades.

SERENITY810
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM
Sounds like a dilemma to me but maybe your DH can help , that is if he doesn't work crazy hours , I hope all works out MSGME ...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:07 AM

Do you typically feel the need to go to conferences every semester? I've never heard of such a thing unless the child is having a really hard time.

Anyway...just write a note saying that that day is inconvenient for you and schedule one for another time. 

SERENITY810
by New Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:10 AM
Email is also another good form of communication. I use it often now .

Quoting starlight91:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommy2boys03
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I would explain to your daughter that it's not possible to make conference this time or call the school and see if something can be arranged for you to meet with the teachers at another time.  It sounds like your son may need you at his conferences more. Oh and do something special for your daughter so taht she knows you are proud of her for doing so well that you don't have to go to her conferences.

SWasson
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:18 AM

See if you can schedule phone calls with your DD's teachers, and go to your son's.

Msgme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:26 AM

yes I go to every conference every time there are 2 per marking period per semester.  Teachers frown upon parents not showing up.  Last term her ELA teacher said whatever parents didn't show up she was going to call home and wake parents up at like 6 in the morning to discuss their child.  Then she went on a rant about how parents need to act like they give a shit about their kids.   She was the most abrupt but most teachers have a similar outlook on them

Quoting christina0607:

Do you typically feel the need to go to conferences every semester? I've never heard of such a thing unless the child is having a really hard time.

Anyway...just write a note saying that that day is inconvenient for you and schedule one for another time. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)