Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

is there anything I can give her?

Posted by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:12 PM
  • 17 Replies
my 15 month old has a really bad stuffy/runny nose. I've been rubbing her down with vicks baby rub and gave her a bath in the Johnson's vapor bath. Those worked for her when she was sick the last time and they aren't working this time. Also someone said she's ok as long as her runny nose is clear and it's not clear it's green... is that bad? She doesn't have any insurance right now because medicaid can't get their stuff together. So if anyone can offer any advice or know anything I can give her (besides Tylenol... thats not working either) or do for her so she can breath and maybe actually get some sleep I would greatly appreciate it! We were up all night last night and she could only sleep for 20 minutes today during her nap time. Thanks in advance!
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:17 PM
Well, without insurance my advise is not the cheapest way out.  I would say you need to see a doctor. Take her to the health clinic...they will either do it for free or make you pay a portion of what you can afford....(they calculate it that day, no qualifiying and waiting for approvals like Medicaid.)  The part that worries me is the "green" mucus.  Green signals infection.  She may need antibiotics.  If is an infection and it isn't treated it could become worse.  I am not a doctor and don't want to mislead you, but green is my signal to call the doctor.  Try a humidifier in the room, too.  My little guy has allergies and was prescribed an allergy medicine when the fluids are clear.  (He is 15 months old). Good luck and I hope you both recover soon!
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:18 PM
I use nose drops and a bulb sering Put the drops in the nose rub their face a little to help soften the yuck then suck it all out. and a vapor plug it, we have the night light one it makes the entire room smell like vicks
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:21 PM
If Tylenol or vicks isn't working I seriously think you should get her to a doctor even if she's not got insurance coverage  ..  is there no clinic you can take her to?  ..  green mucus is a sign there's an infection!  Hope she get's better soon.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:24 PM
If her snot is green then she has an infection and needs antibiotics.
by Gold Member on May. 4, 2007 at 8:25 PM
If she doesn't have a fever...I wouldn't worry about it too much. We go to a military hospital and my son had a runny/stuffy nose for about a at the end of the week I called the hospital and they asked "does he have a fever?"
I said no
so they said "wait it out one more week and use saline drops and a suction bulb on him...if it doesn't go away after another week you can bring him in"

so essentially they said if your baby has had colored mucus for two weeks bring him in...otherwise dont worry if its clear you can wait it out even longer than that

also with the saline...use it only once or twice a day...anymore than that may cause the symptoms to prolong. and make sure you clean the bulb out well after each use. use the bulb when ever needed but dont go overboard on the saline.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:27 PM
I would suggest trying to put a warm washcloth over her nasal area and checks along where her sinus' are. It sounds like she may have a sinus infection or Bronchitus. The washcloth could break up the mucus and let it come out. You need to get it out the best you can. Get some saline spray and use it every chance you get. Spray the saline up there and bulb it out. That's what I did for my daughter when she was about 2 months old and it really worked. Let me know if anything helps. Good Luck!!!
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:29 PM
She may need to go see the doc if her snot is green.. that ususally means infection.. if an infection goes too long w/o meds they can lead to other problems... You can try a nice hot steam room... plug your bathtub up and put some of that vapor bath in and turn on the shower head.. sit in that steam room with her for a hwile that should ehlep with a cough.. as far as the stuff coming out of her nose I would geta bulb syringe and suck it out...
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:33 PM
Hey I don't take my daughter to the dr every time she's sick because usually they can't really give you anything for an upper respritory infection anyway. They clear up by themselves. I'd try the bulb booger eater (thats what I call it lol) with the solution you can buy or a mixture of epsom salt and water. If she likes orange juice that might make her feel better too. And chicken noodle soup. I know another thing that a few moms might disagree with but its never EVER hurt my daughter and it really does work, they make Vicks nyquil for children now and it works like a charm. My daughter weighs more than most toddlers her age though (she's 2 and 32 lbs). But if you wanna try it all it takes is a little bit if its not on the back of the bottle.
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:39 PM
Is she running a fever, and if so how high?  Is she drinking?

It sure sounds like an upper respiratory infection.   Have you tried a vaporizer in the room where she sleeps?  Hon, she really needs to see a doctor...  Linda/CMAS, BS, RN
by on May. 4, 2007 at 8:40 PM
If you are in the process of getting medicaid, you may can ask her dr. to bill you and your medicaid might have gone through by the time you get the bill. Or you pay it and medicaid may refund you the money. But I'm not sure about this, so you might want to call your medicaid agent and ask them. But definitely if the mucus is green you should take her to the dr.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)