Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

DAUGHTER'S EDUCATION IN JEOPARDY!!!

Posted by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 59 Replies

I am just now finding out that my DD doesn't need to turn in the class work to teacher to get graded or corrected because they do it during class, as a class, then it get send home on the same day with no one teacher's mark or anything! She's in first grade here!  We have to go through it at home so I can show her what she did wrong and need to correct them. I understand that teachers cannot do EVERY blesssing detail, but my concern is for class work, there's not one mark on their assignment or corrections made if there's any errors or any kind of acknowlegement that she looked over the paperwork.  She has told me that the class go over it together and they don't even turn in any classwork at all, the only thing they turn in is homework which parents go over with their kids and sign it off, that all. IMO, first graders should not be correcting their papers!  With the homework all the teacher have to do is look at the parents' signature.   The kids have to write out their own spelling list, which the teacher does not double heck and make sure they wrote down the words correctly and I have to go in every week to get the proper list until she finally started printing out a list to sent home and not have the students write out their list.... My concern is that she is not looking over their classwork.

Any suggestion or advice??  I am trying to meet with her, as a matter of fact, I was suppose to have a meeting with her today and it got canceled. It appears that she's advoiding me right now...

UPDATE:  As y'all see she had canceled our meeting last week on Thursday even after she confirmed it on Wed that she could still meet.  So the meeting was Friday afternoon with the prinipcal, counselor, teacher and myself.  During this meeting I brought up all my concern about the classwork not being corrected at ALL and her resonse to that was she cannot correct all 28 kids' classwork, and if I do that then I will never be able to go home and etc.  Mind you, I understand that she can't correct every blessing paperwork, but she should make an efford to correct some of them and give some kind of feedback.  When I pointed out to her that I can understand not every paperwork but at least some fo them, she went off and told me that if she does not meet my teaching standard please remove my daughter out of her class because she will not take the time to go over what I'm concern about and the prinicipal agreed to her and she went off on how she felt and she said she felt like she was being bullied because I talked to other parents out of concern about how the classwork is being done and if they have noticed anything, and she will nt be questioned about her teaching abilities.  Then she also questioned my parenting, which I stopped her from that.  She thought it would be no different than me questioning her.  I have pointed out there is a differenence, which is she is dealing with my DD's education!  She got mad or hurt or whatever, got up and left in the  middle of the meeting. What do y'all think of this situation and what y'all do if this happened with your child?

UPDATE 2:  I took all this matter to the Director of Elementary.  She will be talking to the prinpical and question the teacher of what's going on.  I am very glad I did this and showed the classwork to the Director of Elementary and she will be looking into it more with the teacher and to be sure that classwork is being corrected.  She will be getting a hold of me by Thursday about everything. 

UPDATE 3:  So sorry it took a few days to update this... I was waiting for the meeting to happen before I can update the info!  So far this is what had happened according to the Director  of Elementary Education; she have contacted the principal at my DD's school.  They have discussed the concerns that I have brought to the Director of Elementary Education attention.  The principal is going to follow through with the teacher including some suggestions for some of the teacher's practices.  The Director of Elementary Education (DOEE) had shared that I was well aware that not all assignments will be corrected, (the DOEE had given an example of assignments that won't be graded because it can't be). But spelling papers are important to be complete correctly as that is their purpose and should be monitored for accuracy.  

During the meeting the DOEE had pointed out the main focus in first grade is reading, writing, and spelling.  Which totally makes sense because they need to know how to do those things before they can move onto the next grade!  During this whole thing my main concern was, reading, writing, and spelling!  After receiving the letter (email) from the DOEE I felt like I was pretty much right this whole time about having the classwork being turned in so the teacher can see the classwork itself.

by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pamelax3
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 2:45 PM

Maybe you could volunteer to help grade papers, as an alternative to just going over it in class

LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Wow I'm surprised that they have first graders correcting their own work. I would definitely push for a meeting too!

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:01 PM
5 moms liked this

its the middle of the third quarter how are you just finding this out now?

Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:05 PM
It takes more than the school teaching. The school is only part of it. You as a parent should be teaching them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PestPatti
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 7:06 PM

Quoting notjstasocermom:

I am wondering that too, it can't be a new thing this late in the year. 

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Sounds like laziness on their part. For that, you might as well homeschool.

thatgirl70
by Carin on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:30 PM

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

It takes more than the school teaching. The school is only part of it. You as a parent should be teaching them.

I agree with that, but IMO, it's not her job to grade the papers.

Rhiannon1980
by Silver Member on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:41 PM
I am not saying the parent should grade the paper. I am saying that teaching doesn't only come from school. He child's education is in no jeopardy unless the parents don't take part in the teaching.

Quoting thatgirl70:

Quoting Rhiannon1980:

I agree with that, but IMO, it's not her job to grade the papers.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 14, 2013 at 8:46 PM
1 mom liked this

What do you think your daughter is missing?  Do you know what they do during class time?  Paper work is not really a measure of a good teacher.  they may be doing other creative and educational things that are far more engaging than worksheets. 

creneep83
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:26 AM

because i've been talking throughout the school year and she assure me everything my daughter is doing is normal. even when I have showed her examples and etc.  I've been getting the run around, once she got caught, she deleted me off of FB, she been avoiding me, etc.

Quoting notjstasocermom:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)