Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Government needs to butt out!!! long but interesting and important IMO!

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM
  • 6 Replies

Major Child Care changes are being proposed in Minnesota that include pushing a Union. Which IMO and many others (11,000 licensed In home day cares and about 2,000 centers) think  is ridiculous. What do you need a union for in a small business? YOU DONT!  I don't agree with it, many others dont agree with it but it doesn't matter. They want to make it a vote but only for the day cares that have clients on a subsidy (or on child care assistance) and non licensed legal one family day cares receiving subsidy.  Real fair huh? I have had clients on subsidy in the past but in my area there are very few. I haven't had an interview with a family on a subsidy in 5 years!No vote for me.

And get this! You may not have to join the union (that is to be decided)  BUT if you do end up taking a family on a subsidy you HAVE to join the union! Do you know what that is going to do to daycare? Daycare providers are going to purposely not take clients on subsidy. These families who are already having trouble finding spots will have even more trouble!

Then there is the whole other issue of the MN death panels proposal of changes (I think there are 34) In the last 10 years death in daycare has increased.  Its scary and sad. I as well as many other providers would like to know why! Parents would like to know why. We all would like to know why.  The panel is concentrating on infant death (even though the records show a certain amount of choking deaths,illness deaths and injury deaths of all ages) The main focus is on SIDS. Focus on SIDS is good! I am all for it! Any changes such as more training, more observation by the licensors, and more extensive punishment of not following the rules  and so forth I think is important! And one VERY interesting fact is that for the whole state of MN.. (not just in the daycare setting) infant and child death has gone up! I believe it was 300 more a year in the children's own home! Much higher than in daycare...so something is different! Also, by some miracle for the year of 2012 there were NO reported deaths in daycare!

Looks like in most cases (where it wasn't an accident or illness) that the provider was not following the rules on how to sleep an infant and having more children in the house than their licenses capacity.  But the MN death panel is proposing a ratio change. Less children.

OK...that may sound good. But its not. For one, in MN the need for child care is higher than most states. So we are allowed one more baby per person. I still get 2-3 calls for infant spots a week. I already have my infant spot filled for November 2013! If the ratios change thousands of families will be forced out of their daycare and will have to look for it elsewhere....;when there already is so many few spots! With my families I have siblings with infants starting. This means that I would have to make a decision as to who I will have to say goodbye to. Both of these families I have had for 3 years. Really sad.  

So I foresee a mess if this passes. I can see many day cares running without a license and or families turning to unlicensed day cares ...which can be dangerous but they have no other alternative. The cost of centers is too high in MN. I know of 3 daycare providers that would just have to quit because they wont be able to afford to run them anymore. Cost will go up and quality will go down. But government knows best, right?

And what is really sad is that we really don't have the answers to the deaths (mainly the SIDS since that is what they are concentrating on) Instead of figuring out that many day cares will be effected and so will all the families by taking daycare away.  IMO daycare should be monitored more closely and the ones not following the rules should be punished more severely.  I am sick and tired of hearing the parents of my interviews tell be scary stories of the day cares around me. How dirty and dangerous they are. Granted, I live near the big city. You are going to find more of that. But obviously more needs to be done!

And really, in the end, its the PARENTS who are ultimately responsible on where they place their children! They are knowingly placing their children in these homes, THEY need to be more careful! Maybe some of those deaths could have been prevented! Well there is my rant for the day. Im off to welcome my daycare kiddos into my home now.

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:57 AM
Bump
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:39 AM

Union in day cares. I'm not a fan of unions at all. Heck the union at my job don't care about us employees. When I had a grievence.  They said they could not help me.  But yet they know how to collect my dues the first pay day of every month.  This will just make a mess for day cares.

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:49 PM
They just care about money..when asked what a union would do they say " just trust us" " we will give you a voice! they have nothing. They also went around with slips to sign if we " wanted more info" when apparently it was a slip to sign if you were in favor of the union! Good thing I didn't sign!

Quoting pinkcoffeecup:

Union in day cares. I'm not a fan of unions at all. Heck the union at my job don't care about us employees. When I had a grievence.  They said they could not help me.  But yet they know how to collect my dues the first pay day of every month.  This will just make a mess for day cares.

carlyshort
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM
I am not sure what all a union does but don't they protect you? Say the government lowers child care assistance or something wouldn't they have your back and say no. Instead of making you bend over and take it?

Maybe idk what I'm talking about. Probably that is the case. Lol
wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 1:08 PM
That's pretty much it. Some providers want more subsidy payment or higher payments. I'm not even sure a union can even make the government raise it anyways. The money.isn't paid to the daycare provider ....its the parents subsidy based on their income! Its their benefit. It has nothing to do with the provider.

And these providers whine and complain that they aren't making enough. Well its their fault they don't know how to run.their business! They need to charge the parents the rest of their rates if all their subsidy doesn't cover it. And I don' know how they will afford union dues. They need to take some business classes or.something.

Quoting carlyshort:

I am not sure what all a union does but don't they protect you? Say the government lowers child care assistance or something wouldn't they have your back and say no. Instead of making you bend over and take it?

Maybe idk what I'm talking about. Probably that is the case. Lol

wonderwomanT08
by Ruby Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 9:06 PM
Bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN