Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Job/Career Question-Need Advice

Posted by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM
  • 12 Replies

Brief synopsis: a year ago I stumbled across my dream job (I was a SAHM). It has gone extremely well. I came in at entry level in a small and growing private firm and have since taken on many roles that are central to operations. My boss has always said that if you don't have the position you want - create it; and that's what I am doing. I'll be presenting to him on Monday what I think my role should be and what I hope it will look like. Ive got the job description and details, including compensation, all worked out...

Except for one thing... and I don't know how to approach it... or even how to word my request...

I would like my own office. We have the space, I just have always been at the desk I'm at. I don't want to come across as high maintenance so how would you come at this???

BTW, it is also his philosophy that everything is negotiable lol

by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I would include in the proposal the request and outline a couple of reasons why it would be advantageous for a separate space. . may as well package everything together. Go big or go home lol.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
YoureSoVain
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:29 PM

Maybe I should rename the post, something more sensational, perhaps lol Bump

YoureSoVain
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:32 PM

But how to word to initial proposal? I swear I'm usually pretty good with words, I'm just worried in this case about seeming... unseemly.

And you just gave me a great idea :) thank your for the suggestion!

Quoting calsmom62:

I would include in the proposal the request and outline a couple of reasons why it would be advantageous for a separate space. . may as well package everything together. Go big or go home lol.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Depending on what your role is or will be, will you need to meet clients confidentially? Supervise staff or negotiate contract terms over the phone? Think you will get more work done if you aren't distracted by the stream of traffic in the main space? You could say " this proposal includes a move to an enclosed space to allow for xyz...the change would allow for abc......
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Depending on what your role is or will be, will you need to meet clients confidentially? Supervise staff or negotiate contract terms over the phone? Think you will get more work done if you aren't distracted by the stream of traffic in the main space? You could say " this proposal includes a move to an enclosed space to allow for xyz...the change would allow for abc......
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:43 PM
Office intercourse. That will get attention

Quoting YoureSoVain:

boshs1andonly
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I agree with this. if you're going to ask for an office, be ready with reasons as to why you need one or how it would increase your ability to do your job. otherwise it looks like you want one just because, and they are more likely to turn you down, even if they do have the space.

Quoting calsmom62:

YoureSoVain
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Nothing like that, but I would be required to make a high volume (several hundred a day) of calculations, managing investment portfolios. Distractions, and therfore delays, will literally cost $$$. You have been very helpful, thank you for your input!

Quoting calsmom62:

YoureSoVain
by on Mar. 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Ha! Love it!

Quoting calsmom62:

Office intercourse. That will get attention

Quoting YoureSoVain:

jconney80
by Platinum Member on Mar. 15, 2013 at 11:20 PM
I agree! Good luck!

Quoting calsmom62:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN