Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Cough medicine......expired.....? Please open!

Posted by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM
  • 7 Replies
My youngest son has bronchitis and my oldest son has croup. Last time they had this the doctor prescribed them cough medicine with promethazine/codeine. They have really bad coughs and I still have some of it left but the thing is it is expired (in January 2013) So can I still use it? Also I gave them Tylenol (my youngest) and Childrens Nyquil (my oldest) at about 7 which was like 5 1/2 hours ago. So would it be safe to give them the recommended dose?
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
shadow_lark
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:31 AM
I wouldn't. I don't mess with expired meds. Some get stronger, some get weaker, and you never know which way it will go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Army_Mom_2_Boyz
by ♥Tinkerbell♥ on Mar. 16, 2013 at 3:31 AM

BUMP!

lilysmommy2012
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 4:28 AM

Call your childs doctor using they have an answering service and a nurse will get back with you within 30 minutes, I never second guess when it comes to my babies.

SissyAnn141
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:14 AM

Call asks a nurse  or  a pharmacist .

yo_ho
by Gold Member on Mar. 16, 2013 at 5:45 AM

It should be fine. Expiration dates just guarantee the strength through that date. But you could try and call a 24 hr pharmacy and ask. I wouldn't give the child you gave the NyQuil anything though until you could give the next dose of NyQuil. That cough medicine will make them drowsy.

hope the kids feel better soon.

emmy526
by Emmy on Mar. 16, 2013 at 7:50 AM

the cough syrup should be fine-it isn't THAT old...you  can always ask your pharmacist...i wouldnt' give with nyquil tho..there could be a cross reaction of all the drugs

NDADanceMom
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 8:31 AM
I read in the paper that 99% of meds are fully effective and safe 10 years after expiring. I'd use it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)