Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Camping for the first time...yikes!!

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
  • 10 Replies

Ok, so in about 3 weeks, we're going camping for the first time ever. In a tent. It's with my son's cub scouts den. I'm not an outdoorsy person at all, but my son is soooo looking forward to this so I'm going into this with a positive attitude. Or at least try....lol! It's going to be for 2 nights in early April and my biggest concern is the weather being too cold at night. I have a 7 year old and a 3 year old. What are some camping tips or things that you ladies think I should get before we go. 

by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM
1 mom liked this

Make sure they know the 3 year old is coming and that he/she is allowed.

Rule 1 check the weather report each day before leaving.

Rule 2 Dress in layers (I just got back from girl scout camping training today and this is very important). Don't bring any open toe shoes even to walk around have sneakers or hiking shoes, only have flip  flops for the shower. Bring extra shoes in case the others get wet, bring rain gear for everyone. Bring polyester (active where with the dry weave is good) it drys quickly if wet. Cotton retains the water and if you get wet it won't dry and you will be cold and stay cold. 

For the children don't buy character sleeping bags they are cheaply made and don't retain your heat if its cold. After camping don't roll the sleeping bag stuff it back in, so you don't pull your lining. Bring extra clothes for everyone, if staying 2 nights bring enough for 4. Pack your clothes in bags by day (pants, shirt, socks, undies) all in one ziploc, do the same for bed clothes. Don't put the kids in feety pajama's, short pjs, or nightgowns, make sure they are long pj pants. Make sure at night you change everything your wearing including undies (it does make a difference).

Stay positive there is nothing worse on a scouting event is to have the kids having a great time but the parents whining. Listen to the den leader and do as he asks.

Camping is fun LOL

pixie-buttercup
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:04 PM

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

Rule 2 Dress in layers (I just got back from girl scout camping training today and this is very important). Don't bring any open toe shoes even to walk around have sneakers or hiking shoes, only have flip  flops for the shower. Bring extra shoes in case the others get wet, bring rain gear for everyone. Bring polyester (active where with the dry weave is good) it trys quickly if wet. Cotton retains the water and if you get wet it won't dry and you will be cold and stay cold. 

For the children don't buy character sleeping bags they are cheaply made and don't retain your heat if its cold. After camping don't roll the sleeping bag stuff it back in, so you don't pull your lining. Bring extra clothes for everyone, if staying 2 nights bring enough for 4. Pack your clothes in bags by day (pants, shirt, socks, undies) all in one ziploc, do the same for bed clothes. Don't put the kids in feety pajama's, short pjs, or nightgowns, make sure they are long pj pants. Make sure at night you change everything your wearing including undies (it does make a difference).

Stay positive there is nothing worse on a scouting event is to have the kids having a great time but the parents whining. Listen to the den leader and do as he asks.

Camping is fun LOL

Wow!! Thank you!!  They know our 3 year old is coming....it's for all cub scouts and their entire families. Lots of little kids will be there. You gave me some really good ideas. I never would have thought about packing each day's clothes in separate bags. Great idea! 

Alyssasmommy412
by Silver Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Then when you take the next day clothes out, you put the dirty clothes in, so it doesn't get all over your bag.

MandaMom23
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Make sure you have some waterproof bags to store clothes and gear.  Bring extra socks and change of shoes for hiking.  Flashlight, camping light, weather radio and walkie talkies can come in handy.

ditsyjo
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:34 PM

A really good sleeping bag for everyone

hugss
Take Some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group. :)
Yesterday at 11:45 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Emerald Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:11 AM

This about says it all, LOL
It is lots of fun so just prepared.
Flashlights, extra baggies for who knows what, <g>
Clothes .. better to have too many then not enough
Most importanly .. have tons of fun :)

Quoting Alyssasmommy412:

Rule 2 Dress in layers (I just got back from girl scout camping training today and this is very important). Don't bring any open toe shoes even to walk around have sneakers or hiking shoes, only have flip  flops for the shower. Bring extra shoes in case the others get wet, bring rain gear for everyone. Bring polyester (active where with the dry weave is good) it drys quickly if wet. Cotton retains the water and if you get wet it won't dry and you will be cold and stay cold. 

Camping is fun LOL

Join us at
Time Out for You

notjstasocermom
by Samantha on Mar. 18, 2013 at 12:29 AM

BUMP!

alexis_06
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:14 AM

i'm of no help as i havent ever really been camping..lol..but have fun!!  hope the weather is good for you guys! :)

Frenchbebe
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 4:50 PM
1 mom liked this

I've been on tons of camping trips (including some scout trips) and I LOVE it!  Don't forget hats and sun block, even if it's overcast.  Throw in some little foldable rain ponchos, you can even get them at the dollar store.  An abundance of glowsticks helps to keep track of the kids at night.  Make sure each kid (even the little one) has a back pack that they feel comfortable carring around.  Include some snacks like a granola bar, beef jerky and trail mix, a water bottle, whistle, rain poncho, foil travel blanket, flashlight and your emergency phone number.  I know it's hard for momsbut try and relax and have some fun. :)

taniamorse85
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

The previous posters covered things pretty well.  I've been camping many times (most summers in my childhood were spent at various KOAs), and I've always had fun.  Well, except the time I woke up with a hermit crab on my face, lol.  We'd gone to a beach the previous day, and I picked up a shell I liked and put it in my shirt pocket.  I wore that shirt to bed, and the hermit crab I didn't know was in the shell climbed onto my face just as I was waking up.  Yeah, not fun.  I think my scream woke up the entire campground.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN