Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Are you raising your kids the same way your parents raised you ?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
  • 51 Replies
If not what are you doing different?

I'm raising my girls exactly how my mom raised me, the only thing different is I'm making sure I have a great relationship with my daughters, because I didn't have that with my mom until my teenage years,oooh & I try not to be soo judge mental like my mom was......

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
alexsmomaubrys2
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

No. I am a lot more hands on with my kids. I stayed home with them instead of working. Pretty much doing it the exact opposite of how my parents did. I wasn't raised badly but I think they could have done better. There was a lot lacking in my childhood that I will give to my children.

lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Hell NO.In most ways we are doing it the opposite way.

I am raising kids that have a voice. That are allowed to be kids. That can argue respectfully with us. That are not forced to do all the housework, cooking and laundry. We take a huge interest in our children and their activities.

SoKamele
by Silver Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Yes.

Donna.June
2 moms liked this
No, definitely not. Whatever my parents did, I do the opposite.
The_Doodle

I grew up in the midst of constant fighting and arguing. It was my mom and dad up until I was 10, then they got divorced and it switched to my mom and sister fighting. Even now, when the 3 of us get together, it ends in a fight. I am proud to say that my daughter is growing up in a very laid back, calm, and quiet (as quiet as a 2.5 year old can be!) environment.

godsgirl26
by ♥Char2theMaine♥ on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:47 AM

No. My parent raised me very different they let me do whatever i want which i will not be doing with my kids. I'm so happy that I'm raising my kids different. Although my family calls my kids nerds but hey i don't care. My kids are smart, loving, respect they elders, so I'm happy how we are raising them.

liveforever
by Gold Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:49 AM

My parents were great. They were loving, not afraid to discipline when needed, very involved, and fun too. Im raising my dd the same way. She knows Im not here to be her best friend, but I love spending time with her and she can come to me with anything. 

Mommy4-27-08
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM
Yes and no. I am raising them with the same values and traditions I was raised with but I also do things differently when it comes to punishments and such. My mom has never been good at following through on a punishment, which makes her punishments ineffective. I follow through on the punishments I give my kids (with the exception of silly ones I sometimes say to them, like that I will lick their nose if they don't give me kisses). I also have higher expectations of my kids behavior. Right now my kids at three and five can clean up after themselves better than my brother and sister who are 15 and almost 18.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kayandjsmom
by Alecia on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:53 AM
1 mom liked this

No, not at all. We were poor and on welfare for many years. My mom and dad were crackheads and my dad left when I was little. My mom got better but she never formed that connection with us older three because of it. I didn't get hugs, cuddles or kisses from her. When we were a little older she liked to go out and drink quite often. I had a few step dads.

My husband and I do not drink (we have on occasion). I'm still with their father. We don't do drugs. We are a very loving, cuddly family. I have to hug and kiss my kids  more than once a day. I tell them I love them daily. I do art projects with them, take them to the park. Homework is a big thing here. My mom didn't really care to look at ours. 

*I just have to add that what I wrote makes my mom sound terrible. But she's not . I love her and I'm close to her. She was very young and manipulated by my father. After he left she got off drugs and worked a lot to take care of us. She still didn't make a marriage last and went out a lot but she got off of welfare and provided for us the best she could. I can tell that she still has so much regret about the past. 

WinterRosesmom
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:55 AM
I'm doing some of what my parents did and some what we think is best I had great parents they did a decent job raising us but times have changed so we change with times. :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)