Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Anyone know anything about worker's comp???

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
  • 10 Replies

Hi everybody!

I hurt my back at work at the beginning of February. It has been an absolute mess to get everything in order. I just now, last week, got to go to an actual occupational doctor and he said i could go back to work with the following restrictions.....I can't bend, lift, twist, crawl, stoop, or do any overhead work. I am a private duty CNA that works with a handicapped little girl that constantly has me running, climbing, or having to catch her. I'm probably more handicapped than she is by the way. So, Im not able to go back to doing that bc of my restrictions but if my employer can offer me "light duty" I have to take it in order to keep getting benefits. Well, today I was offered a filing job at the main office....but it is 40 miles away AND they will only pay me minimum wage which is way below what I make under normal circumstances. I am just furious because I HAVE to take this or get cut off from my benefits. I drive a SUV and I get about 17 mpg. It's gonna cost me close to $100 bucks a week in gas!

My question is this: Is there not a limit to the driving distance for light duty? I mean....lets say I worked for a company whose main office was on the other side of my state and that was the only way i could do my light duty was to go to the main office. Can they really do this???? I'm going to be taking almost a $200 wk paycut after the lower wage and the gas is considered!!! I'm sure they are hoping that I'll say no and then they can stop paying me.

Also....what happens if i decide to not get the wage reimbursement from my company and just get a job in my town....will i still be able to keep my medical benefits going since I am still having problems with my back?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:54 AM
How far is your regular worksite from home and what state are you in.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kylie819
by Emerald Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 12:57 AM
I have been dealing with work comp for almost 4 years now. My best advice is to get an attorney. It took me six months to decide to get an attorney...and that was six months too long. Good luck,
Danielle1304
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:36 AM

I am lucky enough to work 5 miles away from my job and I live in Tennessee.

Quoting calsmom62:

Danielle1304
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 3:41 AM

Thanks for the advice! I will look into that tomorrow....I just really hate to take it to that extreme but you just would not believe what I have had to go through just to get where I am now and all for a back strain. Good luck on yours!

Quoting Kylie819:

I have been dealing with work comp for almost 4 years now. My best advice is to get an attorney. It took me six months to decide to get an attorney...and that was six months too long. Good luck,

mommytoeandb
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 6:45 AM

That doesn't sound right at all.  I would call an attorney and ask for a consultation.  

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:38 AM
An additional 35 miles isn't reasonable. Getting an attorney is the best advice, but also make sure your doctor addresses things like how long each day you can drive, sit, reach, etc.

Quoting Danielle1304:

I am lucky enough to work 5 miles away from my job and I live in Tennessee.

Quoting calsmom62:

jillianmayasmom
by Bronze Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 7:40 AM
Unless your doctor had given you a driving restriction, no there is no limit.
auntangelofsix
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:06 AM
No sorry wish i could help you out.
pinkcoffeecup
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:14 AM

I would be contacting a workmans comp lawyer. Ask them some questions. I think work has to be a little more accomodating.  Yes they have to honor the light duty work. But in the same they can't make you go way out of your way for the work.   If they can't accomodate your needs. You can still collect on Workmans comp I am pretty sure. That's why I say contact a lawyer to see what the laws are in your state 

Danielle1304
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:31 AM

Thanks everybody! I was supposed to meet up with my boss today about this light duty job. Im gonna call an attorney instead. you rock

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)