Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

What age to stop napping?

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM
  • 11 Replies

My ds 17 months naps on average for 2 hours,
So today he naps for half an hour and is up and bouncing around, my family are now lecturing me that it's because he's telling me he no longer needs to nap, I just know that this evening is going to be a bit of a nightmare with him being tired, so when did your lo's stop napping?

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:58 AM

kindergarten. My kids napped for 2 hours every day and slept 12 at night.

NNB
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 8:59 AM

What age is kindergarten? Ds sleeps 10 hours at night

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

StrangeDays
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:01 AM
My kids are 4 and 2. Cody (the 4 year old) stopped napping shortly before he turned 3, Abby (the 2 year old) only naps when she literally crashes on the couch. She sees her brother up, and thinks she doesn't need to nap. Needless to say, 90% of the time, I never get any peace until they go to bed.

Thankfully, though, we just put them to bed earlier than they would if they did nap. So the time is sort of made up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Quoting NNB:

What age is kindergarten? Ds sleeps 10 hours at night

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

5 for my first 5.5 for my 2nd.  When they went in Ams (we dont have full day K) they napped after lunch. My kids slept 12 hours a night through grade 5. At grade 6 middle school they slept 7:30 to 6:15. HS 9:30 til 6am.

Surround yourself with people that add to your life not subtract from it.

Jensep
by Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM

My son is almost 4 and takes naps about 3-4 times a week! I thought he was growing out if them, but he asks for them still, so I don't turn him down lol! At the day care I worked at they stopped around 3/4 years old usually...

Teeshann
by Ruby Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:00 AM
My son is 5 and still naps. Getting to where he doesnt always need one but around 1 he curls up on the couch and zonks out.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
demonica29
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:04 AM

I'm 48 and still nap. 

NESmith63
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM
Basically when THEY stop. At 18 months my son still napped twice a day and slept 10-12 hours at night. He shortly after went down to one nap. I can't remember when he cut them out altogether.

My dd stopped napping at early 3 but then recently started napping again.(she just turned 4) If I lay her down with a movie and a juice around 1 or 2 she will pass out for 2-3 hours if I let her. And she still sleeps all night...usually 10-11 hours.

ETA: You can always experiment as well. Try not having him nap one day...see how he is around 5-6pm. If he is melting down, tired and cranky then he's not ready to stop napping. If he is fine then keep it going for 2-3 days. If he lasts that long with no naps and no cranky early evening meltdowns then he may be ready.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddiddlyumshis
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:07 AM
DS stopped napping at 18 months...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:16 AM

There is no set age. I have five kids and they all stopped napping at different ages. Then they will just start back up again because their bodies need it. I remember when I was 13 I started napping after school every day for an hour. I was exhausted. Then it stopped when I was 15.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN