Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Irritated husband

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 46 Replies

I am a new parent we have a 7 week old daughter. Lately I've noticed that if I pass our daughter on to him for feeding or changing he wole personality changes. I've asked him if helping out irritates or bugs him and he denies it, he says he loves spending time with our daughter. But I sense other wise, does anyone have similar experiences or have any advise or suggestions? Thanks

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LuLuRex
by Silver Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 4:58 PM
2 moms liked this

Congrats on having a new baby!

Is he like that every time or at the end of the day when he's tired? I think some men think of feedings and diaper changes like a chore where women don't. The reaction is probably more to the "chore" and not so much about whether or not he wants to spend time with your daughter.

terpmama
by Gold Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:08 PM
4 moms liked this

It also depends on how you "hand off your daughter". If you hand her off the second he walks in the door or wakes up then yeah, probably irritated at you. My dh and I tend to make jokes when we know the other person is just as tired as we are. Rock, paper, scissors for diapers definitely makes the task more fun. 

dommad2
by Tamara on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
This, he could also still be unsure of himself with the baby.

Quoting terpmama:

It also depends on how you "hand off your daughter". If you hand her off the second he walks in the door or wakes up then yeah, probably irritated at you. My dh and I tend to make jokes when we know the other person is just as tired as we are. Rock, paper, scissors for diapers definitely makes the task more fun. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Due9
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:27 PM
3 moms liked this

My husband does this sometimes. I told him he needs to help out 10%  of the time, since I have to do it 90%. I have found that men connect better with their child when the child gets older.

honeybee69
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Don't always make him take the baby just when she needs to be changed or fed. Mine just loved to just hold them sometimes just because.

hugss
Take some *Time Out* for You, Join our Friendly/Supportive group :)
Yesterday at 11:16 PM
Time Out For You Group - CafeMom

Need some Time for You? Feeling stressed? Kick back, relax & take a break. If you're a woman who just wants to have fun, here's the place :)

by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations on your new buncle of joy!
I do agree with the others to give him soime time,
Just let him hold her without having to feed/change her.
It takes them longer than us to get use to that new beautiful baby :)

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Congratulations on the new baby. 

elasmimi
by Platinum Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I think this is true. Lots of men just don't feel very sure of themselves with babies.

Quoting Due9:

My husband does this sometimes. I told him he needs to help out 10%  of the time, since I have to do it 90%. I have found that men connect better with their child when the child gets older.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:38 PM

I went through that with my first son.  Tell him that you cannot fix an issue if he won't tell you what is wrong.  He may be afraid that he is going to "break" the baby.  My brothers always felt that way.

ScrChk23
by Amanda on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Care to share any pics of the littl one?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)