Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My 14 year old was profiled by police

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
  • 16 Replies

My son is black, but because he is adopted he has some white siblings the same age. We have a house we spend the weekends at in another town. My sons were at a dance at the town community center. My white sons were running home to get something. My black son ran after them to tell them to bring him something back to him. Then he ran back to the community center. A police officer pulled up right behind him and said hey . My son said me the cops says yes you why are you running from the police. My son said I wasnt. The officer said didnt you see me parked in the lot over there? My son said no. He said if you didnt see me why were you running? My son explains, the officer lets him go warninghim not to run from police next time.

My white sons encounter the same officer. Hey boys my sons walk over. The officer then asks them if they know anything about a highschool fight in town. They say no. The officer says you boys have a nice night

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
JZB
by Jessie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:42 AM
Not sure how this is constitutes profiling?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
EsmeVincent
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:50 AM
That's just not right
tansyflower
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:51 AM

they were all running, but only the black child was accused of running from the police.  how is that NOT racile profiling?

Quoting JZB:

RyansMom6204
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 8:53 AM
It is plain and simple discrimination bc the cop accuses a black teenager from running from him when said teenager didn't know he was there and warns him. Yet encounters his white brothers and asked if they know about a fight and says have a good night. So in that he was assuming the black teen was up to no good bc he was running and that the white teens are just out and about. It is so wrong for them to assume something when it is not the case no matter what color/race person is.

Quoting JZB:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JZB
by Jessie on Mar. 20, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I miss read the post, my bad I haven't had coffee yet :/

Quoting tansyflower:

they were all running, but only the black child was accused of running from the police.  how is that NOT racile profiling?

Quoting JZB:

momaof8
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:03 AM

I just keep thinking what if he hadn't been raised to be polite to police

MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:06 AM
The way I read it, they were all running the same direction, then the one child turned around and ran back the other way. If the cop was in the direction they were all running toward at first, I can see how that could be seen as running from the police.

Quoting tansyflower:

Quoting JZB:

mich.el.le
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:07 AM

You posted this several days ago in another group. Right?

momaof8
by Gold Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:15 AM

I did I was writting my letter to the Mayor and got angry all over again.

Quoting mich.el.le:

You posted this several days ago in another group. Right?

GaleJ
by Silver Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
Minorities are, and have been in the past, treated differently by "the authorities" than are non-minorities. It is patiently wrong and should not happen. I am sorry your son experienced it but am at least glad that his experience was as "minor" as it was and did not result in any action against him. I hope he's okay and not, in any way traumatized by what happened.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)